Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have tin roofs on both of my flying lofts,and noticed something this morning.The condensation is building up and running down to a point that it drips.I have been doing carpentry a long time,but this is the first time I have used a tin roof.Could I insulate the inside of the roof?Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Condensation occurs when warmer moist air hits a cold surface, so yes, a layer of insulation could stop this, but make sure roof is thouroughly dry before doing as any trapped moisture between insulation and roof will oxidize and rot the roof.
Whats your ventilation like around the roof, better airflow would also cool the warm air before it hits the roof, thus eliminating the problem.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I too have a metal roof, and this has never happened.. are there any holes in it from where it was nailed or screwed on, and then that nail or screw was removed? Or any cracks in it for some reason?

·
Registered
267 Posts
there might be a hole in it...
and yes rhino lining will do help out too but its way to expensive to do that roof and it will be heavy...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
just looked at your pic again, bit awkward to see the angle of the roof, does the condensation form on the metal at the other side of the wooden beam also ? If not, it could be a leak coming from somewhere else and running down the lines of the metal till it gathers at the beam.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is condensating everywhere under the roof,in both lofts,and im sure of no holes.It never leaks in the rain only in these cool mornings,does it condensate like this.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Maybe you have too much humidity inside the loft? Maybe not enough heat to burn those moisture?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe you have too much humidity inside the loft? Maybe not enough heat to burn those moisture?
I read that it is when it is warmer in the loft than it is outside that you get the condensation. When the warm air meets with the cold metal roof. You don't heat your loft, right?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Jay3,
Yes, you are correct. That also happens inside the car. I am trying to figure out whether it is a condensation or not. Sometimes when we take a shower (hot), mirror gets fog up and sometimes the ceiling gets wet which obviously is a result of poor ventilation. I myself wonders about the poster's thread. Initially I thought water is leaking from the roof, but it seems not to be the case.

I suppose if this was condensation, it must have been really cold day and quiet very warm inside the loft. Or perhaps the opposite, very warm outside and cold inside?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
But if he doesn't heat the loft, then why would it be so much warmer inside to cause that? Unless lots of windows for sun to warm it through the glass?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I don't know how he designed his loft. I suppose if the inside of the loft is warm enough it should be able to burn off those moisture just like inside our car when we use heater and the windows don't fog up anymore.

So here is my theory. LOL! There is a lot of humidity(water vapor in the air) inside the loft, then the loft get warmed up, while it is very cold outside creating that condensation process, but the warmth is not enough to burn those moisture so it accumulates. What do you think? Any flaw?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a comon problem in our area. It is condinsation. Try calling a place that makes metal barns. You need a vaper barrier. The barn people will have materials that will help out. You can have insulation, special coated paper, etc. (A fully open barn will drip. The sun warms the metal and the moist air underneith condisates. A vaper barrier keeps the moist air away from the metal. Jim

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't know how he designed his loft. I suppose if the inside of the loft is warm enough it should be able to burn off those moisture just like inside our car when we use heater and the windows don't fog up anymore.

So here is my theory. LOL! There is a lot of humidity(water vapor in the air) inside the loft, then the loft get warmed up, while it is very cold outside creating that condensation process, but the warmth is not enough to burn those moisture so it accumulates. What do you think? Any flaw?

But in a car, it isn't the heat that takes the fog off the windows as much as the moving air blowing on them from the defroster. Add the heat and it works better.

If you wear glasses, and come into the warm house during the winter time, the warm air inside will make your glasses fog up because of the cold glasses hitting warm air. I don't necessarily think it is so much from moisture in the loft, as from the warm air in the loft hitting the cold roof. How big is his loft? How many birds are there? Do you think maybe more ventilation near the roof would help?
Someone on here a while ago said that he keeps his loft open I think, and doesn't heat it, to avoid that problem. That if the air is the same temp inside as out, that the condensation wouldn't form.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ventilation sounds like the key. you can never have too much, but you dont want a draft either. kind of like the inside of a tent. If things are all closed up it gets damp...

Hank

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Jay3,
Condensation happens because the air can't hold the moisture any longer. Warm air implies that there is not enough moisture on it. There is a critical point for condensation to happen. Adding heat on car help makes the air hold more moisture and it gets blown out. You can't have condensation without moisture.

Very open loft allows cold air inside and cold air carries water vapor. Condensation occurs when you have temperature difference. In this scenario you can heat the roof outside and you can get condensation inside.

What happens inside the car or any place works on the same principle of condensation. A good ventilation is the key. That good ventilation will carry those moisture away so it wont saturate the place and you wont have condensation occurring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts