Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....

I was reading on the AZ Pigeon Club's website today and came across an article about sexing pigeons. Link is posted here, it is the second article down from the top.
http://www.azpigeonclub.org/pigeon_ponderings.php

I am wondering now if others have found that the female will coo and drag their tail as well as males? Because now I'm not quite sure if our pet pigeon is a cock or a hen:confused: We would love to adopt a mate so he/she isn't so lonely but would hate to end up with 2 males together....:eek: is there any way to tell?

Another question I have is; from what we can tell our pigeon(pic. below) is a white homer..... but from looking at the pictures of the kings I am wondering how to tell the difference? I know I'm ALLLLLL CONFUSED....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My Romeo does. I finally figured it out when she laid a egg, in a lovely tp nest, on the bathroom floor. Now I call her Noodle.:D

·
Registered
822 Posts
There will be others along soon who know a whole lot more than I do (even my pijs know more than I do!!:rolleyes:) but ....

1. I have read & been told that the older hens can pick up the habit from the cocks.

2. We found a method of sexing the birds that - to us - seemed like hocus pocus but - by god! - it's been 100% right .... on humans, dogs, cats, & pigeons.

It's called 'dousing' (yep - like the "finding water" dousing) and works like this: take a string & tie a small metal object to the end (we used a large paper clip). The string should about 8" long so it swings freely. Hold the pij in one hand (better yet, have someone else hold the bird), then hold the string above the bird's shoulders - metal object down. Touch the metal clip to the bird's back so it hangs still then raise it just a bit and wait (be sure YOU do everything you can to keep your hand still). If the bird is a cock, the metal clip will swing back & forth in a line. If the bird is a hen, the metal clip will swing in a circle (it swung almost horizontally when checking a human female!!!). Our String had it's definite swing within a minute or 2. When it has "chosen", touch the clip to the bird's back again to make it be still ... make the clip swing in the "wrong" direction and wait. It will eventually return to swinging the "right" way like before.

Hocus Pocus??? Sure sounds like it, huh? But we tried it on all 2- & 4-legged beasts in this house before we tried it on the birds. I held the string & closed my eyes ... someone else held the animal and didn't tell me which animal it was. We then did the same with the birds. The String/Clip were right EVERY time.:eek:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
We have had Rae Charles (our adorable blind pij) since she was a youngster. She coos, dances in cirlcles, fans her tail AND lays eggs on occasion. :)

Cindy

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hello....

I was reading on the AZ Pigeon Club's website today and came across an article about sexing pigeons. Link is posted here, it is the second article down from the top.
http://www.azpigeonclub.org/pigeon_ponderings.php

I am wondering now if others have found that the female will coo and drag their tail as well as males? Because now I'm not quite sure if our pet pigeon is a cock or a hen:confused: We would love to adopt a mate so he/she isn't so lonely but would hate to end up with 2 males together....:eek: is there any way to tell?

Another question I have is; from what we can tell our pigeon(pic. below) is a white homer..... but from looking at the pictures of the kings I am wondering how to tell the difference? I know I'm ALLLLLL CONFUSED....:rolleyes:

Try placing a mirror in the cage. The cocks tend to be territorial and starts cooing and possibly start courting it's reflection. The hen would probably peck alittle depending how aggressive your bird or just enjoy the company....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe he IS a she?

........ so he REALLY could be a SHE...:eek:. I do have a mirror next to his cage he/she runs up to it and stops. he/she pecks at it, as if "groming" the reflection. Of course she/he will tail/fan drag and roo coo at us all the time when we come into the bird room too as well as do this to the mirror. She/he will be at the opposite end of the cage and charge at us from the other end and then stop right in front of us..

Will a hen lay an egg without a male? Like doves will lay the egg for "you"? We have seen no eggs as of yet? We have had Willow about 2 months and up until now thought that it was a male. :confused: But she/he is a lone pigeon for now until we can adopt another one. I guess we need to figure out the sex of him/her first.

So I am off to try the paperclip!:p I did see that on that article too but was skecptical. But we'd really love another pigeon so I will be trying it on everyone...lol...just to be sure its workin'. Has anyone else had success with that? Lots of silly questions, sorry. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, does Willow resemble a King? Just was wondering that too?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Willow looks just like my white homers, I thinks Kings have a rounder body and a bit of a shorter tail. here is a pic of a homer with a little figurita for comparison.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Lovely little bird. I think it is a homer too - head looks like ours. Kings are also usually heavy in weight - much more than a homer. They can weigh 600 or more grams.

And, I ain't touching the sexing question with a 10 foot pole :p because I ALWAYS figure ours wrong. Can't tell you the number of guys I have with sissy girl's names.

G

·
I agree looks to be a homer to me too , I think that kings are rounder but umm never had the two side by side to compare :eek:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LoL.....

Alrighty roo----- Did the whole "dousing" thing.... Can't tell if the thing swung becuase I was trying not to laugh or what, :p BUT, it went around in a circle.... LOL...
I told our son to sit still so I could do it on him...... It was so FUNNY cuz , like I havent known this for 9 years, I blurted out "Yep, it says a boy!" LOL...he says.... "MOM, of course I'm a boy I wasn't hatched from an egg ya know" Uh HUH... YEP, we moved right on along from the ole' birds -n- bees "talk". (( as dear ole' hubby is trying not to laugh!!!!))

So WHO KNOWS. All I know is sexing PIGEONS is for the birds! And that we'd really love one more Pidge. So we are on the look out. :D Thanks for looking at this and helping us out! Have a fantastic weekend everyone!!!:cool:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Alrighty roo----- Did the whole "dousing" thing.... Can't tell if the thing swung becuase I was trying not to laugh or what, :p BUT, it went around in a circle.... LOL...
I told our son to sit still so I could do it on him...... It was so FUNNY cuz , like I havent known this for 9 years, I blurted out "Yep, it says a boy!" LOL...he says.... "MOM, of course I'm a boy I wasn't hatched from an egg ya know" Uh HUH... YEP, we moved right on along from the ole' birds -n- bees "talk". (( as dear ole' hubby is trying not to laugh!!!!))

So WHO KNOWS. All I know is sexing PIGEONS is for the birds! And that we'd really love one more Pidge. So we are on the look out. :D Thanks for looking at this and helping us out! Have a fantastic weekend everyone!!!:cool:
..LOL.....thats funny.....I would venture to take a guess on the sex and say from the pic he looks like a he, because of the rounded head and nice neck, the hens seem to have a flatter head and thinner neck, but it is not 100% this way. but if i had to put a wad of cash down that would be my guess.:) as in my pic of my homer I woud guess a she, flat top of head and neck not so full...but it is just a guess.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There will be others along soon who know a whole lot more than I do (even my pijs know more than I do!!:rolleyes:) but ....

1. I have read & been told that the older hens can pick up the habit from the cocks.

2. We found a method of sexing the birds that - to us - seemed like hocus pocus but - by god! - it's been 100% right .... on humans, dogs, cats, & pigeons.

It's called 'dousing' (yep - like the "finding water" dousing) and works like this: take a string & tie a small metal object to the end (we used a large paper clip). The string should about 8" long so it swings freely. Hold the pij in one hand (better yet, have someone else hold the bird), then hold the string above the bird's shoulders - metal object down. Touch the metal clip to the bird's back so it hangs still then raise it just a bit and wait (be sure YOU do everything you can to keep your hand still). If the bird is a cock, the metal clip will swing back & forth in a line. If the bird is a hen, the metal clip will swing in a circle (it swung almost horizontally when checking a human female!!!). Our String had it's definite swing within a minute or 2. When it has "chosen", touch the clip to the bird's back again to make it be still ... make the clip swing in the "wrong" direction and wait. It will eventually return to swinging the "right" way like before.

Hocus Pocus??? Sure sounds like it, huh? But we tried it on all 2- & 4-legged beasts in this house before we tried it on the birds. I held the string & closed my eyes ... someone else held the animal and didn't tell me which animal it was. We then did the same with the birds. The String/Clip were right EVERY time.:eek:

LOL
This was very funny
Where did you learn this, I got to try it.
LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts