Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at around four I was loft flying my 13 birds and they circled around my place for about forty minuets, then about four of the older birds successfully trapped into my loft but just when I turned around I heard my flock take to the sky again, each of them flying their separate ways. They were really loud and fast when they took off. Then I saw a huge female cooper hawk land on our tree and I chased her away. My pigeons dispersed out further from my house and about fifteen minuets later I saw that my flock of nine had all gone back together. They flew around for about thirty whole more minuets and my braver birds dove down towards the loft once more. This time they were all very nervous as they quickly trapped, but once more the dang cooper flew back and four of my pigeons took off into the sky once more. I hardly noticed how fast they came in. My four birds took off out of sight as the sun set. I was pretty sure that they were going to go fly somewhere for the night because it was getting really dark out again, but when there was little light I saw a flock of four birds high flying in the sky. I whistled for them to come down and I saw that one of them was trying to fly towards the loft but the four eventually took off out of sight once more. It was almost pitch black out and so i locked up my loft and went homed (had a raccoon come trough my trap and so now I always lock it at night time.) I think that I should open my loft tomorrow morning and they should all trap in the morning. I was just wondering if it was possible for my birds to fly all night into the morning because I had this happen before and they came back in the morning. I think either they just randomly land on a tree at night time, or they fly about ten miles to the train tracks to go sleep over with the wild pigeons. Another option is that they could fly throughout the night but I am not sure if that is even possible. I will update this tomorrow on my four birds that took off for the night.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Coopers will do that when opportunity strikes. Our pigeons, unlike tipplers, will usually land somewhere such as trees or roof or anything that will make them feel safe. I had lots of experience like yours before because I had a hawk that decided to make the tree next to my loft home. It usually comes back at nightfall so I had to call my birds in before it comes back. It is so eerily quiet at my place. Wild birds are afraid to linger.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Today at around four I was loft flying my 13 birds and they circled around my place for about forty minuets, then about four of the older birds successfully trapped into my loft but just when I turned around I heard my flock take to the sky again, each of them flying their separate ways. They were really loud and fast when they took off. Then I saw a huge female cooper hawk land on our tree and I chased her away. My pigeons dispersed out further from my house and about fifteen minuets later I saw that my flock of nine had all gone back together. They flew around for about thirty whole more minuets and my braver birds dove down towards the loft once more. This time they were all very nervous as they quickly trapped, but once more the dang cooper flew back and four of my pigeons took off into the sky once more. I hardly noticed how fast they came in. My four birds took off out of sight as the sun set. I was pretty sure that they were going to go fly somewhere for the night because it was getting really dark out again, but when there was little light I saw a flock of four birds high flying in the sky. I whistled for them to come down and I saw that one of them was trying to fly towards the loft but the four eventually took off out of sight once more. It was almost pitch black out and so i locked up my loft and went homed (had a raccoon come trough my trap and so now I always lock it at night time.) I think that I should open my loft tomorrow morning and they should all trap in the morning. I was just wondering if it was possible for my birds to fly all night into the morning because I had this happen before and they came back in the morning. I think either they just randomly land on a tree at night time, or they fly about ten miles to the train tracks to go sleep over with the wild pigeons. Another option is that they could fly throughout the night but I am not sure if that is even possible. I will update this tomorrow on my four birds that took off for the night.
Must have been a bad hunting day, if he made a good kill he would not be hunting that late in the day.Now if it was breeding season then he woylf be hunting to feed his young,but its not breeding season nowGEORGE;)

L

·
0 Posts
Must have been a bad hunting day, if he made a good kill he would not be hunting that late in the day.Now if it was breeding season then he woylf be hunting to feed his young,but its not breeding season nowGEORGE;)
the coopers here hunt well into the evening many times , the further into the year the less chances they have of making kills as the birds arent as abundant at this time of year and the hawks are more plentiful as well .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts