Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

When two pigeons are pairing off originally, does the courtship display conclude with copulation, or does the first copulation happen after another ritual once the pair have been bonded as a result of the original courtship?

I would appreciate any insight and I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance everybody,

kind regards

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello,

I got the first part of your description. What does the second part mean

or does the first copulation happen after another ritual once the pair have been bonded as a result of the original courtship?
IF they are a pair, they will mate several times (from my experience)... to reinforce their bond...

but mating will occur more frequently when they pair is ready to raise squabs of their own.

The courtship of a pair will have the two birds ending with a copulation. In all of my experience with my birds, the cock mates with the hen and then after that the cock lays down like it wants the hen to mate him... IDK this is weird to talk about... but this is really how my birds end their "courtship" when ever they do it. The Hen most of the time (in my experience) will end up just preening the cock's head. I've seen one of my hen mate the cock after the first copulation.

Sorry, If I got really weird or off topic... but I wasn't sure how to respond to the second part of your question... so why not just ramble with my experiences.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi everybody,

When two pigeons are pairing off originally, does the courtship display conclude with copulation, or does the first copulation happen after another ritual once the pair have been bonded as a result of the original courtship?

I would appreciate any insight and I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance everybody,

kind regards
Hey Mark,
Welcome to PT:)
Mating behaviour may vary but almost all pairs do billing first. You may ask by stating what mating behaviour your pair is showing if you sense something unusual. The hen puts her beak into cock's. (The cock may also give feed to the hen,seen in pairs mated for long). After billing ritual, the hen bows down and let the cock mount her. (Not all cocks bow down in front of their hens after mounting, to be back mounted.) After copulation they will bill again first before copulating next time they want to have sex.

I had one h*rny cock who would copulate without billing. And my...he could copulate 5-7 times under half an hour. I lost that blue bar homer in a training toss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. thank you very much for the responses guys.
I Don't actually own any pigeons yet. But I like to learn about them and thought the members of this forum could help answer questions that might pop up from time to time if i cannot find satisfactory answers in books/ on web.

I was finding it hard to phrase the question in a way that was somewhat understandable. I dont think i was successful, but i think I got the answer I was looking for anyway. So thank you Doig and Jass

·
Registered
386 Posts
HaHA!!

MarkODonnell...

To be honest I was not sure how to describe the answer to your question... I knew exactly where you where going though.

And you are very welcome sir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts