Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, it has been 14 degrees in the morning the past few days and only highs of 35! Not good so early into winter for the Nevada desert.

Ok, I read about supplying extra corn to create more body warmth. Our options are limited in this one horse town that is not pigeon friendly. (I have to go 40 miles to by pigeon seed!) So, what type of corn can I feed my poor bird (soon to be birds, got a mate and mated pair on there way this week)?

Popcorn? What type of popcorn... the kind from the grocery store in the popcorn section, raw kernals you would put in a popcorn popper? (don't laugh at me, I'm not normally this stupid!:rolleyes:)

He seems to be ok in his loft, the little water bowl in there was frozen this morning, so I immediately replaced it. It was cold in there, but clean, dry & not drafty. I had to chisel pigeon poopcicles off the perches this morning, nothing like frozen poop first thing in the morning! ( I make it a habit to clean up poo every morning, figured a clean loft is a healthy loft.) There is no electric to the loft, so I can't run a heater out there, therefore, back to the corn question.

So, please enlighten me to the type or popcorn / corn?

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Peanut Oil

BRADEN,do you have a health food store in your town? Most health food stores sell bulk pop corn many of the brands of pop corn sold have chemicals to give them a buttery taste which may not be good for the bird.I would say if you have a petsmart in your town you could get safflower which is loaded with fat and that would also give the bird warmth. You could get peanut oil and mix a table spoon of that on the feed 2 or 3 times a week. GEORGE;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Petsmart... ha ha that is 65 miles from here! Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.petco.com/product/9479/Kaytee-Safflower-Seed.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGooglebase-_-Wild%20Bird-_-Kaytee-_-355038&mr:trackingCode=36FEEB15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Yes, we do oddly enough have a rinky-dink health food store. Our grocery store also has some bulk health food items too. So All Natural PopCorn / Safflower is what I need to ask for? no artificial additives, preservatives, etc...
Will check with both tomorrow.

How much extra of the popcorn or safflower should I feed? He eats about 2 tbsp feed per day (approx. 1 1/2 of those little dosage cups on top of medicine bottles like Nyquil) I don't use those for measuring, but just to give you an idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you can find raw popcorn that would be fine ,I get regular cow corn around here and my birds dont have a problem eating that even though the kernals are bigger ;)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Petsmart... ha ha that is 65 miles from here! Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.petco.com/product/9479/Kaytee-Safflower-Seed.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGooglebase-_-Wild%20Bird-_-Kaytee-_-355038&mr:trackingCode=36FEEB15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Yes, we do oddly enough have a rinky-dink health food store. Our grocery store also has some bulk health food items too. So All Natural PopCorn / Safflower is what I need to ask for? no artificial additives, preservatives, etc...
Will check with both tomorrow.

How much extra of the popcorn or safflower should I feed? He eats about 2 tbsp feed per day (approx. 1 1/2 of those little dosage cups on top of medicine bottles like Nyquil) I don't use those for measuring, but just to give you an idea.
Braden, I thought that you had 20 or 30 birds to feedI would say that a tea spoon of corn or safflower added to what you feed the bird and if you were to use peanut oil1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon would be enough,2 times a week. GEORGE;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Braden, I thought that you had 20 or 30 birds to feedGEORGE;)
Not that many this winter, maybe by next year tho! :D Building up "select" racing homers as breeding pairs this year, keeping offspring as flyers.

Thanks for all the input folks, will be on the hunt tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, to my absolute suprise, I was able to round up all the mentioned foods! Our one horse town came thru! Got a bag of all natural popcorn, no additives. Got a 10lb bag of Safflower seed, the farm supply had that, in bulk only. And finally was abole to get pure peanut oil form the health section of the grocery store.
So, figured I would give a little mix of the seed in his food, and maybe 1x week a drop of peanut oil.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts