Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I go to a different store, they tell me different food that my pigeon needs. This has led to some confusion in me.

Im going to tell you all everything I have, and I would like for you all to tell me how often to feed what.... Please.

I have some kind of food that says "All purpose poultry", I was told that has everything mixed into these small yellow "Pellets".

I have a bag of a mix seed, corn, peas, and a bunch of other seeds.

A bag of oyster shells.

A box of "Gravel'n Grit"

And this bowl called "Colombine Pickstone Red"

And some Apple Cider Vinegar for the water.

Now how often should I feed each of these? Am I supposed to have the grit and oyster always available?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The protein in the pellets I think was 19%. I dont know the fat or anythign else. The bag is just labled with their store name on it.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Hello Rooster241,
Thought Your Question may be easy to answer…? Not so for many reasons…. Feed mixes should for the most part contain a balance of Proteins, Carbs, Nutrients, Vitamins ETC… Then you have your small oily seeds like flax, hemp ETC… Then you have to take into account if your birds are, Flying, Breeding, Molting ETC, Then time of year Winter or Summer…!… If you do a Google search on “Feed Requirements for Pigeons” you can and will get a Million Answers… My best advise is to read a few Articles, Then come to your conclusions based on a balance diet, feeds, ETC that you can Obtain in your own area… I have a few Articles on feed, Watering ETC, on my website that you may find helpful… You can also try an locate any local Pigeon clubs in your area, Homer, Show Clubs or General Pigeon Fancier and try to setup a Visit to their Loft, Most of the time a one on one Section with an old Pigeon Fancier is Priceless…!… I hope this gave you a few Ideas…?…

PS, Crazy Pete is right about the “Grit 24/7”, pellets and ACV…

But please understand Rooster241 There is no 1 Simple answer to your Question…

Louie

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pigeonmumbler, im at work and am unable to view your site. I will check it out once I get home though.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Hey, Pigeonmumbler! Loved your site and background info. Those DHF's are beauties, esp the rich reds!
Thanks Doveone52, I really Like Yellows but when I seen those deep rich Reds I just had to have them, A few of the reds come from yellow Parents...
Thanks again...:)
&
Your Welcome Rooster241, I've had Pigeons for over 40 years now & I'm still learning stuff, The worse thing you could do to your birds is not to Ask a Question for Help and from what I've seen sofar this Forum is full with members with vast knowledge about Pigeons...!...

Louie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.