Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been hand feeding a young pigeion found a week ago. I have been keeping his nest between 34-37C using hot water bottles, a heat Matt and wheat hottie. I have been placing the heat sources on one side so he is able to escape and cool down on the other side of the box.

However, he is starting to feather up and I feel is becoming too warm. What is the correct temperature to keep him at 9 days?
Also what age would he be able to cope without heat?

I should add he is kept in the house where the temperature doesn't drop bellow 18C.

Thank you for all your help so far!! I'm not sure he would have made it without all your expertise!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Can you post a photo of what he looks like now? He should feel warm when you touch him, even with the heatpad turned off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post a photo of what he looks like now? He should feel warm when you touch him, even with the heatpad turned off.

Please excuse the formula, I'm trying to get it off but it is like concrete...
The photo isn't the best as he tends to get excited and hungry everytime I look in!!

Thanks

S

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Growing nicely! You can switch off the heatpad during the day. If he feels warm and still producing the same amount of droppings, then he will be ok. Turn on again at night. You can fold a piece of tissuepaper under his beak (like a napkin), that will prevent some food spilling on his feathers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Growing nicely! You can switch off the heatpad during the day. If he feels warm and still producing the same amount of droppings, then he will be ok. Turn on again at night. You can fold a piece of tissuepaper under his beak (like a napkin), that will prevent some food spilling on his feathers.
Thank you! I think we have the technique nailed now... It was rather messy at the start! I have managed to get most of the formula off so he looks a lot more respectable now.
Thank you, I will give that a go.

Out of interest, when would you recommend starting him on peas? Everything I read seems to have a different opinion.

Thank you for all your help... Again!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Stick to feeding him as you are doing now. When he's about 3 weeks old, you can leave some small seeds in his "nest". You can use your fingers and play with the seed, push them around. He will copy what your fingers are doing. Do the same with a small bowl of water. Sometimes they learn very quick, one just needs to be patient.

The pea method works best for older rescued babies that's too old to be fed by the cut-off syringe method.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stick to feeding him as you are doing now. When he's about 3 weeks old, you can leave some small seeds in his "nest". You can use your fingers and play with the seed, push them around. He will copy what your fingers are doing. Do the same with a small bowl of water. Sometimes they learn very quick, one just needs to be patient.

The pea method works best for older rescued babies that's too old to be fed by the cut-off syringe method.

Brill! Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hello, he has started to eat seeds quite happily, however he still hasnt grasped drinking! I have been guiding his beak into water but he isnt interested.. any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Put down a large dish of water in front of him. Keep on playing with the water by using your fingers. Splash the water around. He will eventually drink and might even take a bath.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put down a large dish of water in front of him. Keep on playing with the water by using your fingers. Splash the water around. He will eventually drink and might even take a bath.
[/QU
How deep should the water be? I have been filling it up to his nostrils to avoid it going down the wrong way!!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Make it about 2 cm deep with water. The idea is to get him walking into the water while you are splashing around with your fingers. He will be curious and copy what your fingers are doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts