Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After discovering a blue tit with a broken wing, I have met a wonderful lady near me who runs a small rescue centre from her house. Whilst all birds are welcome there, her real love is wood pigeons, and she has ammassed quite a collection. These permanant residents sadly cannot be released due their old injuries (understandably she can't bring herself to "knock them on the head" as some have recommended) and are taking up more and more room.

Now room, and a love of animals, is something I do have and I have offered to build an aviary in my garden to house some of these disabled birds. I have kept a large flock of doves in the past, however they were in a "dovecote" (large shed) and free to fly. These need to be in an aviary of some sort, and I have no experience of this, so I hope you may be able to help :D

The space I have available is approx 2 metres by 6 metres and can be around 2.5 metres high - How many wood pigeons can I offer to take, we were hoping to be able to take more than 5 but don't know if this is feasable (I want them to be as happy as possible).

The plan is to have a paved floor (to prevent rats), a wooden frame covered with 13mm 16 guage galvanised mesh for a 4.5 metre flight and then a 1.5 metre wooden "coop" which they would share. Does this sound OK, or does the coop need to be bigger?

Any input you all can offer would be most appreciated as I want to get it right. Thankyou

All the best

Henry

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I should know metres but I don't...my brain works in feet, so if yo do length x width divided by 2 you will have your number as the 2 comes from 2 feet per bird...this is so nice of you and sounds really wonderful. It will be nice to sit out there and eat lunch with them on a nice day...or have tea as they do there...I wish we had tea times here in the states...anyway good luck with your project and please post some pics if you can.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to here they will have enough space :D
In feet it is approx 6' x 18' x 9' though it may even end up being bigger :p

So now that the space issue is sorted, what about the practicalities. You have all had far more experience dealing with these things than me, so given this space, how would you do it? What mistakes have you made?

I am putting together a couple of drawings and am talking with Sandy (the rescue lady) to try to give the birds the best home possible.
Sandy is very helpful with the care and health of the birds, however up to this point she has been using adapted sheds as houses and doesn't have much experience building larger enclosures. So I call upon you fine people to show me the way :D

Thankyou all for your help

Henry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the space, I certainly hope you can't get 54 birds in there, it would be quite a squeeze!!

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi Henry

We have a few woodies in our aviary, including one non-flying, with our pigeons (and two collared doves), plus a couple of more vulnerable woodies with three collared doves in a smaller aviary.

Do all these woodpigeons fly, or would there be a mix of flighted and grounded?

We have underwired both aviaries, and have strong aviary mesh, such as our US friends call hardware cloth. We also have corrugated plastic roofing fixed over the covering mesh. Our woodies don't use either of our sheltered areas to roost, preferring branches or other perches in the open (well, the 'roofed open').

How much of a coop would, I guess, depend on the possibility of at some time also catering for feral pigeons in need, who generally do like a coop of some kind.

John

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That sounds wonderful! Plenty of room for 5 woodies and more.

Our woodies prefer the parts of the aviary that are as natural as possible so we let the hedge grow in under the roof and put potted conifers in for the ones that can't fly.

We had the whole aviary roofed with corrugated plastic three years ago because we didn't want anyone suggesting the birds should be culled if there was an ourbreak of avian flu, but before we did that they would invariably roost out in the open. When it rained I used to put rush fencing on top of them, to satisfy their need to be out in the open and my need for them to be sheltered.

This is Tweetywood, trying out a nest in the "extension" in our aviary.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Looking at the space, I certainly hope you can't get 54 birds in there, it would be quite a squeeze!!
Columa livia (the rock pigeon) and columba palumbus (the wood pigeon) have different housing requirements. The rock pigeons roost in close groups in caves, so in aviaries they like to have nesting boxes or V perches under cover , so they need less room. Wood pigeons need more space, although they like to be with a few of their own kind when they roost and will forage in large gangs.

This is why feral pigeons get into so much trouble with humans in towns If they spread themselves around they would almost be a rarity, but they like being close together in large crowds, whether they are feeding, nesting or doing their formation fly overs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts