Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a homer who I have been "hand" training this last week or so. Yesterday was the first day he/she would eat directly from my palm. I noticed the first time I offered my hand with seed in it instead of the dish I normally use he/she kinda pecked at my fingertips a couple time before going right for the seed. That was the only time while feeding that this bird had done that. So to continue the training, this morning I hand fed him again, and this time he didnt peck at me. Afterwards, I put him back into the coop and reached up to fix his/her towel bed and he/she started squeaking and wing slapping me and pecking at my hand. I had to talk to him/her and do the "food whistle" to calm it down and I could then pet its belly. One thing to consider is that this bird sprained it ankle last week. The swelling is gone but it still kinda avoids putting lots of weight on it.

First question. Why would it peck at me if its use to sitting on my hand/lap/shoulder/head?

number 2. Do you think this bird is male by its actions? During the pecking/slapping, he/she was standing very tall with its head back slightly and its chest out, chin tucked - a very impressive pose I might say. Keep in mind this bird is still a "squeaker," it always squeaks when something startles it. But I was careful to let him know i was moving towards him; very slow as always. It just seemed as if he was mad at me and wanted me out of there.

Sorry for such a long post I just wanted to give a good idea of what happened.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
most pigeons wing slap to protect their territory or if threatend, they do it to each other so don't feel bad. pigeons can be motivaded by food, but it won't give them the warm and fuzzies for you...it's just they way they are. as far as pecking at the hands he might of been checking for seeds or just curiouse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply SW, you are definitely a reliable one!

So are you saying that pigeons have an inability to be "attached?" They mate for life right? So wouldnt they become "attached" to their mate? This one is still young; actually he is still growing his beak feathers but has spent time with me everyday for 2 weeks when I got him and has no interaction with the other birds who spend all day on the floor.

When you say "most pigeons wing slap" does this include hens as well? So the pose gives no indication to sex?

Thanks SW!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply SW, you are definitely a reliable one!

So are you saying that pigeons have an inability to be "attached?" They mate for life right? So wouldnt they become "attached" to their mate? This one is still young; actually he is still growing his beak feathers but has spent time with me everyday for 2 weeks when I got him and has no interaction with the other birds who spend all day on the floor.

When you say "most pigeons wing slap" does this include hens as well? So the pose gives no indication to sex?

Thanks SW!
yes both sexes wing slap, esp. when they are on the nest, he was saying to leave him alone. pigeons are not the easiest to tame. like I said the motivation is food not love, one that is young and not with other pigeons at all can bond and pick a human as a mate, but they prefer other pigeons if they are around other pigeons...do you want a pigeon for a wife!:p well...dont' answer that...LOL...some pigeons just don't warm up to humans, you may find one that may, so don't give up.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Some of my birds when they want some attention pecks on my toes. They basically are saying they want some seeds. They do that, too, on my fingers. They are trying to get your attention.

Wing slapping means they don't want you. Sometimes they will try to "bite" you as well.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have a couple that peck at my toes when I'm in the loft (with sandals on) LOL
I have a couple that fly to the screen door and hang off it when I drive in the yard after work. (here's ma, where's dinner!)
A couple of my hand raised birds will fly to the platform just inside the door when I'm coming and going in the loft. They want their heads and necks scratched.
And a couple of birds will jump in the food dish before and as I fill it. Very impatient! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts