Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
as long as the membrane is not damage the egg will still hatch, I have one that got step on and it still hatch. So give it a chance.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
as long as the membrane is not damage the egg will still hatch, I have one that got step on and it still hatch. So give it a chance.
yep soymi is right, I have heard of an egg someone found with a divot in it and it still hatched...just got to wait and see. and fix the reason it happend to begin with.. maybe some nest fronts or get your cock birds settled on their little peice of realestate before you put the hens in with them so perhaps there is less fighting and nest box hoping.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dip the tip of a q-tip in elmers glue and apply lightly only over the crack. This worked for me a couple of times.
Glue. Awesome. Never woulda thought of it. I'm relieved that it's a possibility it might survive, so thanks everyone.

I think the problem was the baby still in the nest box. The hen laid only 20 days after he hatched, so I hadn't moved him out yet - seemed still pretty young to do that. He's the only one that age so he'd be alone on the floor and vulnerable (and yes, I have a bit of a shelter for him, but it doesn't always work for the young and confused). It's a 24" nest box so there is plenty of room and I put a second bowl in there cause I could tell the hen was thinking on laying. But I guess he still wanted to be close to mama. But he's on the floor now. Daddy was feeding him plenty tonight :)

Anyway, thanks for the optimism.

G

·
I had a chick hatch from a repaired cracked egg once and she died at less then a year old after so Im wondering if they might be weaker overall in the end and will not intervein the next time it comes about myself just because I dont wish tpo take fate into my own hands anymore :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts