Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted on here before talking about our poor wood pigeon who had some flight feathers missing on one wing and a chunk missing out of her chest/shoulder where a cat started eating her. The good news is that she's doing ok - it's been almost 2 months now and she's doing really well considering.

The situation now is that her leg is really stiff and I'm not sure she's got enough muscle to ever fly again. If she falls over she really struggles to get back up again and right now I can see her living with us for the rest of her natural life.

At the moment she has an entire room to herself in the house - mostly empty apart from a wee cardboard box house (which she loves), some plant pots and trellises to hide behind and some carpet and fake grass for traction. As she's a woodie she's not great with people so we're leaving her alone as much as possible.

I'm looking at things to house her in the garden and I need some advice. I contacted a wildlife rescue but their only advice was to build her an entire aviary. That's all well and good but right now she's only likely to limp around the floor so it's kind of a waste of space. Do you reckon a large rabbit hutch with a run would be OK, or a small chicken coop and run (bearing in mind she can't even hop up to perch anywhere right now)?

Any advice very welcome!

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing ok! Great job fixing her up. You might want to consider a flight cage that you can get online and assemble. Although with her disabilities would imagine a rabbit hutch or chicken coop would work. Thank you for adopting the lucky girl.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
We have a wire/wood rabbit pen with quite a bit of space, partly covered as per the design. If it's wet I put a plastic corrugated sheet over the open (i.e., wire only) part. There is a small rabbit house inside with a ramp to the entrance. We use it for non-flighted pigeons who are usually inside as these are particularly vulnerable. Whatever you get needs to be stronger than just chicken wire to keep stray predators out. Ours has proper strong aviary-type mesh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever you get needs to be stronger than just chicken wire to keep stray predators out. Ours has proper strong aviary-type mesh.
Thanks for your response. We already keep chickens and have an anti-fox mesh for them. It's buried down to the depth of a meter and the chicken run itself is made of the same material. Although our garden is super-enclosed by 6 foot walls and fences and in the middle of the street (so any predator needs to go through about 6 gardens to get to ours) we would be looking at doing the same anti-fox stuff for whatever pigeon house we use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts