Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question maybe someone can help me with.I have a pair of King pigeons who are supposed to be mates. The female (white) has laid 2 eggs at three seperate times. She and the male (blue/gray) took turns sitting on them,she at night and him most all day. They have never had any eggs to hatch. She sits until I think she knows they are not going to hatch and then leaves the nest and does not go back. After several days I remove the eggs, freshen the nest with new hay and later she starts the nest all over. can anyone tell me what the problem might be? This is my first pigeons.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You could have 2 hens, the male could be infertile or they could have an underlying illness which is killing the babies in the shell. Have you looked inside the shell to see if there are dead babies?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have looked at eggs

Yes I have looked at the eggs in the light after she has left the nest. The egg contains only sloshy liquid. I bought these birds from a Thi lady who lives not too far from me. Is there a way I can tell what their sex actually is. They do coo to each other when I am not around.I hear them from outside when I am working with my other animals. They seem to do this b4 she lays the eggs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had birds of the same sex, when kept together with-out any other birds, act like they are a mated pair.
I was having the same problem with my kings, so I took the eggs and placed them under a pair of homers and they hatched out just fine. I have not been able to get this pair of kings to raise a clutch of their own. But they are just too pretty (AND VOCAL!) to give away, sell or do anything with.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have looked at eggs

Thanks for your reply, Yes, I have looked at the eggs in the light after she has left the nest. The egg contains only sloshy liquid. I bought these birds from a Thi lady who lives not too far from me. Is there a way I can tell what their sex actually is. They do "coo" to each other when I am not around.I hear them from outside when I am working with my other animals. They seem to do this b4 she lays the eggs.The white one (female?) seems to have some sort of respitory cough or seems to sneeze or ciough somewhat.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
It actually does sound like you have two hens, however, I wonder why you don't get 4 eggs instead of 2. Could be that one is too old and has stopped laying. I don't guess they are banded with any sort of band that would tell that us that info.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Or the male is already infertile. The sloshy egg means that it was not fertile.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you crack the egg open and their is no yolk (yellow) it could just mean that you have a young bird. My chickens will lay smaller eggs with no yolks when they first start laying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at both the King's bands, they seem to be a white zip band and then another type of pink cloth band. I'm not sure if tell anyone anything or if it was they sellers way of matching them in some way. Is this anything that might let me know if I had 2 hens?
They are still taking turns sitting each day and night.Comments would be most welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It actually does sound like you have two hens, however, I wonder why you don't get 4 eggs instead of 2. Could be that one is too old and has stopped laying. I don't guess they are banded with any sort of band that would tell that us that info.
Hi, I'm still finding my way around the forum, mad a quote about the bands on another post. would appreciate any help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.