Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my white dove outside in its cage to enjoy the sun. I have done this for the past 4years with no issues. I came back to find she had a hole in her chest. It looks like an animal got to her, but I don't know how something could get in the cage? there was no blood, no apparent discomfort from my bird ( I was more in panic mode). I took her to a vet who said her crop was torn and she was not holding food. The only 2 options I had were to stitch her ($500 cost) Or euthanize her. I do love this bird and we have a special bond, but I don't have the funds to pay $500, and I didn't think it was fair for me to take her life without giving her a fighting chance. I did research online and stumbled on these forums, this was a godsend as many of the forums have said these birds are resilient and self healing. I've been applying some natural ointment on the wound. My dove is holding in food and water as I don't see any food coming out. She is going to the bathroom, and walking around like normal. But she looks a bit mangled. We're on Day 4, and surprisingly still alive. It seems like some filler has formed over the crop, I have no idea what it is. I would appreciated any help or feedback from someone more experienced, is there anything more I can do?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Could you pls post a photo? Some people here have glued or stitched their birds crop, some just healed. However your bird may need antibiotics if bitten by a hawk or cat. Hope she is all better soon. Glad you found Pigeon Talk, welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the picture. I cringe every time I look at her. But I don't see any signs of her acting differently (other then not cooing or laughing)

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It is an awfully large opening. The edges should have been brought together at the beginning before the edges start to die. That bird definitely needs antibiotics. I would go back to that vet and get some. They should have given some to begin with. There are 2 layers to a crop and both must heal. The actual crop itself, and the skin that goes over it on the outside of the bird. Get some antibiotics for her, and bring those edges together is the best you can do for now. Bandages made for that purpose, or super glue or whatever. And antibiotic cream. One that does not contain the pain reliever. But an antibiotic is needed.
Never leave a caged bird outside. There are many predators that can reaach in and kill them. Build a playpen of sorts, with 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware cloth. They are much safer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help and advice. I will take her to a real bird vet. Do you think its too late now to properly fix the damage? Its been 4 days since attack. And I've learned my lesson not leave her out unless I have a proper enclosure.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They may be able to do something at this point. Please let us know how it goes. She really should get the medication. She could get infected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update

I took my Dove to a real wildlife place who knew what they were doing. The vet removed the outer layer (she said her body created some kind of coating over the crop). Re-exposed the opening. Vet said it doesn't look to be infected, so they will give her anesthesia, stitch her up and prescribe antibiotics. They noticed she looked lethargic which was odd because it was midday, but I can only assume its from all the trauma. I am optimistic she will survive, and can now say I have done my best to give her a chance. I can't explain in words my gratitude for your advice. It definitely gave me the extra push to take her to another vet. Thank you!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh I'm so glad you did that for her. I know you care very much for her, and she deserves the chance to mend and have a healthy life. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and take them to someone to knows how to help. I know this can be costly, but sometimes that is what is needed. Thanks for caring so much.

I will post a pic of the little playpen I made for my disabled house pigeon. It worked very well and could be moved around to different locations. You could make one large enough for her cage to fit into so that you wouldn't have to worry about her flying off when transferring her. Nothing will get her in it, and you can put a towel or something on one side of the pen to give them shade.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I made a circle with fencing, then made a top to cover with the same fencing. It has a bottom made of the same fencing and hardware cloth. I then made a door in the top, which I place a rock on to weigh it down, or a latch would also work. I then covered it with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, so nothing could get in or reach through. I only had him outside when we were around anyway, just to be safe. But it worked out fine, and let him enjoy the sunshine and warm weather. He could also bathe in his little bath.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Agree with Jay3, am so glad you had a vet help out. Our first pigeon was a feral who flew into afan,sustaining a broken wing and getting nearly decapitated,but withafew stitches and rest, recovered nicely. The kind of pen that Jay 3 posted would help your bird be safe while she is healing as she needs rest. Others herehave had birds with ripped crops who recovered. Pigeons are tough. People were feeding Phoebe, our rescued bird, through her neck and her head was just hanging, but she recovered with TLC. Hope your bird is all better soon. Please let us know how she is doing. What is her name?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.