Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been handfeeding a homer for the past two weeks. It's three weeks old and was having slow digestion the past two days. This morning it's crop is filled with air. I tried putting a syringe down it's throat to extract the air with no luck.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is she gulping air when she eats?

You can express the air by opening the beak slightly with one hand and gently squeezing the crop with the other.

Jennifer

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Don't suppose you could post a picture, couldya'? It's always possible that there's a ruptured air sac and it's inflated. Usually when they're young and having slow-crop problems, they need some kind of medical intervention.

Pidgey

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Jenfer and Pidgy. I checked with an old timer in my neighborhood that has pigeons and he said it that the inflation was between the crop and the skin and all I had to do was puncture it with a sharp object. So, I punctured it with a sharp knife and the air came right out! It didn't even bleed and she seems fine now. I started treating her with 4 in 1 (dacoxine).

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Holly Molley, Sirpigeon...this is a little Pigeon not a cow with gas!
What do you have besides the 4 in 1? I have never found them very effective and the vet I work with says they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Charis,

I only have canker meds and brewers yeast/garlic tablets besides the 4 in 1. So far she is doing ok and I'm weaning her.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've had a few babies like this before, with ruptured air sacs. Carefully poke the skin with a needle and let him 'deflate'. Make sure you don't hit anything but skin. If you do this everyday, after a while he'll be cured. Keeping him on antibiotics during this time is a good idea though. Simply hitting something or being injured by something in the nest can cause this, but disease can as well, like airsac infections.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This happend to me 2 years ago. A young cock bird while road training came home an hour late from a 25 mile toss. As soon as he landed I could notice a bald spot along his crop. Very next day, Ballon! I knew it had to be an ruptured air sack. So I pulled out one of my two "Bibles", Wedel Levi's "The Pigeon" & Dr. Collin's "Flying Vet". Sure enough it was in there and it showed how to treat it. So I put him in the "clinic" by himself and proceeded as instructed. I also gave him only small seeds to eat for one week and gave him an antibiotic. It only took 2 sessions of de-flating him and he was later returned to the race team. He turned out to be my best cock in 2007, 07-OCALA-134, his accomplishments can be found at my site: http:www.timberlofts.net. Im proud to say he is now in the stock loft!

To think, some would have just put the bird down thinking it will probably always hinder the bird while racing. Im sure glad I gave him a chance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bubbles is better!

It's now been 5 days since the last time I've had to deflate 'Bubbles". She is now in perfect health. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply.

> Is she gulping air when she eats?

I am sure he/she is, but I can't see what her beak is doing - I am using the syringe + balloon-over-the-end-with-a-slit-in-it method, and he's so tiny that that the rubber over the end of the syringe hides his beak, and the opacity of the food in the syringe also hides his beak.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I am trying to offer the food either with the syringe vertical and below head level, or horizontally, at the same level as the head, and with the fluid pressed up against the rubber - but, of course, after the first gobble, there's an air hole in there, and it's a little tough to push the syringe plunger at exactly the same rate the baby is sucking up the liquid.

> You can express the air by opening the beak slightly with one hand and gently squeezing the crop with the other.

Yes, as per what I wrote in my post, I have tried that twice, and posted photos of the result.

Thanks!
-Lauren

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a pigeon that is one month old and it eats until its crop is full of air and when it is full I have to take it out with every massage can anyone tell me I should not let the wind rise in this croup because when he eats and eats until one of his crows fills with air when the air goes out and he leaves

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a pigeon that is one month old and it eats until its crop is full of air and when it is full I have to take it out with every massage can anyone tell me I should not let the wind rise in this croup because when he eats and eats until one of his crows fills with air when the air goes out and he leaves

1 - 20 of 45 Posts