Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you cross-breed racing pigeons? For example, I have two pairs (Pair A & Pair B), both pairs raised the first clutch of young birds, they could have the 2nd clutch of eggs laid when their 1st batch is getting older.. If you plan to cross the cock of pair A to Hen of pair B and cross the hen of pair A to cock of pair B, assuming that you already fostered the 2nd clutches of their eggs to other foster pairs, what could be the process? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
How do you cross-breed racing pigeons? For example, I have two pairs (Pair A & Pair B), both pairs raised the first clutch of young birds, they could have the 2nd clutch of eggs laid when their 1st batch is getting older.. If you plan to cross the cock of pair A to Hen of pair B and cross the hen of pair A to cock of pair B, assuming that you already fostered the 2nd clutches of their eggs to other foster pairs, what could be the process? Thanks!!!

An option when going this route, is to simply break up the pair and re-mate them so that cock A is now mated to hen B etc. The challenge here, is the hen might not take to her new mate right away, and they have to be located where they can't see or hear their old mates. Or the process could take a lot longer. Unless you wait until the end of season, and wait until they have all been separated at the end of the breeding season. Which is what I typically do, in which case maybe 80% of all pairings are new from previous year.

An alternative plan, which I have used, which is a little more simple to use during the actual breeding season, is to take a key breeding male, and foster most of his eggs, but switch hens on him. If the hen's are receptive, then the whole process can take very little time. The hens are kept secured without other males, until their turn with the foundation cock. This way, you can raise numerous rounds from the cock with a number of hens. The only rime or reason you would go through this process, is if you have a very exceptional male. If we are simply talking about typical pigeons, then simply waiting until the end of the breeding season, and repairing with new mates the following year, would be the most productive in terms of YB's produced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts