Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These crows on my block are badass...our local redtails are constantly bieng harrased and chased by the crows...the crows will litteraly tree them and then attack. The crows could seem to care less about my birds...how can I encourage these crows to hang around more. What are your experiences with crows?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like them. They chase the hawks away. Sometimes there over 200 2 houses over.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Crows maintain a social network and will alarm call on any predator in the area. In my area, they harass everything from a huge bald eagle to the acrobatic sharp shinned hawk.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Crows in my area are good for me.There are not that many and the are not that active untill early spring,but once they start nesting they really raise cain when the hawks are near.They make alot of noise and if the hawk gets close they will make dives at him.The hawk is not really in any danger but that keeps him occupied.They have made some dives at my birds but once I start letting them out regularly they do not pay them any attention. Jeff

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I like mine too, I feed them, and yes they do chase off hawks sometimes. I have seen it with my own eyes..otherwise I would of thought it nonsense. mine eat dry cat food. they seem to relish raisens. they will eat baby birds and eggs though so keep an eye on your trap door.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
These crows on my block are badass...our local redtails are constantly bieng harrased and chased by the crows...the crows will litteraly tree them and then attack. The crows could seem to care less about my birds...how can I encourage these crows to hang around more. What are your experiences with crows?
They will flush a bird out, so that a hawk will kill it, and then they will steal it from the hawk.

G

·
its true crows are not always the cools birds you would think , I had one fly into my coop one time and grab an egg , all be it that it was a wooden egg but they stole it just the same :rolleyes: they have even pounded some of my birds in flight and if you ask me they are not all that effective against coopers hawks ,they have a bigger beef with redtails and I actually like the redtails they are better at keeping the coopers away if you ask me but that is just my two cents ...

p.s. like spirit said too they do eat more baby songbirds and eggs then you could even imagine seen it with my own eyes ,its horrible to say the least :(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes, you have to keep them in perspective, and know what they are and capable of.... but

I would rather have a crow here on my property any day instead of a cooper.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Crows love fast food! I would throw my leftover french fries onto the roof of my house and the crows would just "hang out" there. This is especially effective during this time of the year when the hawks are lurking in the shadows. The presence of crows keeps the hawks at bay. I haven't had any bad luck with crows scaring and/or attacking any of my birds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts