Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been handling my pigeons as much as usual due to the bitter cold temperatures here in Buffalo, New York. I held one of my blue bar birds and noticed what felt like a lump from anus to middle of stomach. I began separating feathers and saw a crusty formation on this birds skin and in his feathers. I have never seen anything like this at all. I took the bird in the house, sprayed water on the area to cleanse and applied an OTC antibiotic. The crusty things did not come off.

If anyone knows what this could possibly be or how to treat it, I would appreciate it. This bird has not been let out to fly since September so if there was an injury, it would have been inside the loft. The bird is now inside my house awaiting treatment.

Thank You!

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No ideas on what this could be? Anyone ever see anything like this before? Well, the only thing I am doing right now is keeping the bird in the house, I cut off a lot of feathers in the area, I am trying to clean area 3 times a day with water and then putting an antibiotic cream all over the skin.

I truly would appreciate any input anyone may have. I realize that this isn't posted in the sick and injured bird section, that was my mistake.

If anyone can help me, please do, this bird is very important to me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hard to tell on pics but sounds & looks to me what I call " crap buns"
Frozen crap on anus & around . Just a wild guess .

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hello. I bet those are parasite eggs. And maybe the adult mites also. They need to go: insectiside powder maybe scatt or ivermectin.
Yes I did read that in a book too, could be an infested bird with mites and or lice.

Just taking another guess if it's not the mites. If it's a hen it could be an internal ovulation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the input. I just put the bird in the bathtub with some bath salts. He or she (I'm just not sure) walked around in the tub so the bottom area got very wet (I cut off many feathers). When the bird dries I will put more antibiotic cream on the skin and apply some scatt (just to be safe). During Spring and Summer every bird was treated with lice and mite spray every couple weeks but you never know. BTW, when I cut off the feathers I noticed what looked like a wound. A couple weeks ago, the birds were in the Aviary and a giant Coopers Hawk landed on the top. The birds piled onto each other to get in the loft. This one being plump may have somehow hurt itself leading to this whole thing. I forgot about that incident until I cut the feathers off.

I have approx 80 birds in the loft and this one is the only bird that has this problem. Since this bird is a show bird and a little "plump" it could very well be "crap buns". My lofts are not heated and with 0 degree or below weather, they are impossible to scrape.

Again, thank you everybody!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As cold as it is here now I highly doubt that it would be caused by lice or mites... they will cause problems most when it is hot and humid in the summer and not now when it has been struggling to get out of the single digits.
If you said you found what looks to be a wound then I would wager that it's the most likely cause of this (secretions coming out of it and getting stuck and frozen to the feathers). Keep the feathers trimmed back in that area and keep it treated and it should be fine when it heals.
Sorry I didn't notice this sooner as I could have came over and taken a look at it, but just been really busy with cleanup after the flood over here. If you need any more help just let me know. :)
Thank you and so sorry to hear that that flood got your property. That is absolutely horrible. I hope everything works out for you! If you need anything, you let me know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts