Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my first ever baby is five weeks old and is having a lovely time in our back yard as a free range pigeon. She and her parents can often be found pecking around like chickens, which I think is adorable.

I've still never managed to pick either of the elder pigeons up, but I have been handling the baby since she was very young with the hope that she would be more affectionate when she grew up. She does allow me to handle her in the loft, but once we're outside she is, naturally, keen to fly off and perch on the roof in the sun.

Sometimes when she's "being a chicken" I walk along behind her and try to pick her up. This leads to a game of "chase the pigeon" before she either allows me to pick her up, or flies off somewhere else. I don't pursue her once she's flown off (whether it's a foot away, or 10 feet away) as I figure she doesn't want to be handled, but I can't help but wonder if it's not a game to her and she feels like I'm a predator.

Does anyone have any insight into the minds of pigeons that can help me out?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok, so my first ever baby is five weeks old and is having a lovely time in our back yard as a free range pigeon. She and her parents can often be found pecking around like chickens, which I think is adorable.

I've still never managed to pick either of the elder pigeons up, but I have been handling the baby since she was very young with the hope that she would be more affectionate when she grew up. She does allow me to handle her in the loft, but once we're outside she is, naturally, keen to fly off and perch on the roof in the sun.

Sometimes when she's "being a chicken" I walk along behind her and try to pick her up. This leads to a game of "chase the pigeon" before she either allows me to pick her up, or flies off somewhere else. I don't pursue her once she's flown off (whether it's a foot away, or 10 feet away) as I figure she doesn't want to be handled, but I can't help but wonder if it's not a game to her and she feels like I'm a predator.

Some pigeons just have a flighty personality.

I used to have a squeaker who thought I was his parent but he didn't like me picking him up. You could say he was semi tame. He would fly to my shoulder sometimes.

He thought my hand were predators but once he recognized my face he calmed down. But still couldn't pet him and pick him up.

Another squeaker I raised the same way but he would let me pet him and pick him up. He was fully tame.

You can try to get your pigeon to come to you with some unsalted peanuts and white bread.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
free flying imprinted pigeons is a recipe for disaster. They need to be afraid and flee from things that come after them to survive.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
free flying imprinted pigeons is a recipe for disaster. They need to be afraid and flee from things that come after them to survive.
^Good post. This is very true.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Pigeons like to stay in a location that is safe and low stress, otherwise they go elsewhere. If I had money to bet I would bet it on that the pigeon does not want you to handle him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply, everyone. :)

I'm slowly introducing all of them to peanuts in the hopes I can bribe them to come to me. We'll see how that goes!

She's definitely not imprinted on me, she very much does whatever she wants, but thanks again for the reminder that free flying pigeons can become prey.

And yes, I think I'm beginning to understand my pigeons moods, now. I guess they're just like humans in the regard that sometimes they just want to be left alone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts