Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the passing of Peeps i wasn't really wanting to deal with anymore baby deaths. After they had neglected Peeps, I told myself that i wasnt going to let them breed anymore. But when he died I wanted to give it just one more shot. So now im going to introduce to you. Valentine and Frogger.Valentine got his name because of the fact he hatched Valentines evening. Frogger hatched two days later in the early morning on the 16th. They are both almost 2 weeks old and growing well. Im going to post a few pictures of them as they have been growing up.

Taken 2/19/10

Taken 2/20/10

Taken 2/21/10

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics

Taken 2/23/10

Taken 2/23/10
Frogger is on the left and Valentine is on the right. :)

Im going to take a new picture today. They have a lot more feathers and look so fluffy :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear you lost Peeps. :(

These little ones look like they are thriving.

Thank you for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I had my doubts about your pair, but looks like everything is just fine. Is there anything you did different or learned from the loss of the others that may have help these to thrive? :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had my doubts about your pair, but looks like everything is just fine. Is there anything you did different or learned from the loss of the others that may have help these to thrive? :)
well in the beginning i think they were just in poor condition. And then after medication i'm not sure why they didnt survive more then a day or so. With Peeps it was mostly because "I"[extremely inexperienced in handrearing] was the one taking care of him and they may have abandoned him partially due on my part of taking him out of the nest too soon and having him out of there sight too long when i took those pictures of his legs, which by the way after watching these two grow there was something extremely wrong with Peeps legs and how they were growing, very strange.
I have held these babies. I waited until they were a little over a week old. I cant hold them when mom is on the nest cuz she attacks me. It doesnt hurt just makes me jump everytime she pecks. I can touch them when she is in the nest. Just when I go to pick them up she didnt like that. When dad is on the nest he lets me pick them up. I do one at a time and hold him for a few minutes stroking his feathers and back and then i place him back in the nest and dad accepts him under is wing instantly. Then i repeat with the other. And when i am holding them he can see the whole time. I actually sit in the cage with them. its hilarious and it's fun they are so adorable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its about 3 feet high but i open up the top and stick my head out that XD

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oh thats right you got the pink cage... sweet. hope all continues to go well., keep us updated with pics!:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They're cute, but they should have some sort of nesting material under them. In the natural they would gather it for their nest.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
todays pics :)

I took these a little bit ago.

Dad and babies. Valentine is the one whose head you cant see.

Little fluffy Frogger :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The parents are spending more and more time off of the nest. Last night they were off the majority of the night. They still need a bit of feathers but wont it be soon when they leave the nest to find food [seeds]?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The parents are spending more and more time off of the nest. Last night they were off the majority of the night. They still need a bit of feathers but wont it be soon when they leave the nest to find food [seeds]?
It is common for parents to start leaving the babies alone around fourteen days of age (that is with pigeons, and since doves mature quicker it may be normal) , my pigeon babies were just feathering when mom stopped the night duty but were close by.

How are they acting otherwise, are the babies getting fed well, and do they look well?

Given the history of the parents, I would BE very concerned and keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they are being fed well. The dad is only one i have seen feeding though. but thats normal at this age i heard. He feeds them and leaves or feds them and starts cooing over and over. Not sure why he does it in the nest instead of next to her like usual. Last night was the first night neither of them were on the nest. They were perched about a foot away though. The babies look fine to me. They are actively preening their feathers right now. the rest of the time they are sleeping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes they are being fed well. The dad is only one i have seen feeding though. but thats normal at this age i heard. He feeds them and leaves or feds them and starts cooing over and over. Not sure why he does it in the nest instead of next to her like usual. Last night was the first night neither of them were on the nest. They were perched about a foot away though. The babies look fine to me. They are actively preening their feathers right now. the rest of the time they are sleeping.
I'm happy to here that My doves have done the same

·
Registered
233 Posts
they are soo pink! Are they king pigeons?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
everything seems normal, doves build terrible nests, only using a few scraps most times...the basket bottom seems sufficent, when the parents do not stay with them as much is a good time to dump the poop out of the bottom, but you probably already know that..lol.. weaning is a bit tricky and they still have a ways to go, but you will need to watch them close at that point and you may be the one who shows them the feed and peck at it with your finger to get them interested, they usually learn from the parent birds by watching, at that point they will be out of the basket and on the bottom of the cage, so make sure you have feed where they can see it and get at it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
spirit wings is right in that they learn by watching. While the babies are still in the nest box, I offer the parents seed and peanuts at the box by hand. The babies see them taking it from me, and eventually they will too. This way, they learn to eat on their own, and also learn that I am friend, not foe. By the time they do come out, they will take seed from me easily. Of course, it helps if you have parents that are friendly toward you. If not, they will learn that too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tips. The parents actually wont eat seed from my hand. But I have been putting a little in the nest box at times and have watched the parents eat from there. Once the babies leave the nest I will move the seed container to the ground and that way they will see the parents feeding from it there too. Theyre is always seed scattered as well from the parents. No matter what i do it ends up there XD Ive made covers and everything. But oh well. Either way it gets eaten. :p

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Once they're out of the nest and beginning to eat seed, you can try offering it to them in a small lid from a jar. It may take a little while, but they will probably get used to this and take it from you. If you start when they are young, you may be able to get them friendlier to you than their parents are. They will learn to trust you.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts