Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I now have my second oops baby. Poppy was the first and I THOUGHT the only............GEEZZZZ
The last time my widowhood birds were together was April 30th, the day I shipped the last race. I can't really remember, but since I only shipped 2 birds, I think I must have let the rest of the birds stay together that Thursday, Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday. So that would have been 30th, 1st, 2nd and 3rd of May. They've been separated since then.
One morning, don't remember when and I didn't write it down anywhere, when I went to clean, there was a hen sitting on an egg in the floor. They do this all the time, so no big deal. I throw the egg out, go get a nest bowl and dummy egg for them to sit on. Of course, I know that there will be 3 more eggs to come, but since it's HENS only, I didn't bother switching out the eggs. They've been sitting on them faithfully since then.
So.........this morning I go in to clean and I see 1/2 of an egg shell and think, dammit, they've broken an egg and now there's a mess and I'll have to take the hen over and give her a bath. I bent down to pick up the egg shell and saw that all familiar "stuff" that the baby leaves in the egg, and said "OH CRAP!!!"...........picked the hen up and sure enough, there's a tiny yellow fuzz ball....... THEN, I freak because there's 2 more eggs in there and I'm thinking........not ONE but there's going to be TWO MORE of these little buggers................
Thankfully, the other two eggs were clear, so they're gone now and I have one tiny baby............
I really don't know who the mother or the father is............this is a REAL oops baby..........:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Renee,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :p :) :D I am beginning to think we need a seperate forum/section for posting all our OOPS babies. :p

This little one was meant to be, and you never know if this fuzz ball will be a winner!

Pics please!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get some pics for you guys of course...........I'll have to see how this works out. These hens that mate up are just in a corner of the loft floor....no shelter of any kind and always get pooped on. Every few days I just give them a clean bowl. They don't have nesting material, because I don't ever encourage them to do this, so if they DO pair up, they're sitting in a bare bowl with a couple of eggs. Needless to say, when I found this baby this morning there was NO nest AT ALL.........so I had to go make a nest. The one hen would sit and then leave and then come back to the bowl. In a couple of weeks, I'm afraid the baby might get scalped, so I may have to bring this one inside at some point. :rolleyes: THAT'S just what I wanted to do..........LOL

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'll get some pics for you guys of course...........I'll have to see how this works out. These hens that mate up are just in a corner of the loft floor....no shelter of any kind and always get pooped on. Every few days I just give them a clean bowl. They don't have nesting material, because I don't ever encourage them to do this, so if they DO pair up, they're sitting in a bare bowl with a couple of eggs. Needless to say, when I found this baby this morning there was NO nest AT ALL.........so I had to go make a nest. The one hen would sit and then leave and then come back to the bowl. In a couple of weeks, I'm afraid the baby might get scalped, so I may have to bring this one inside at some point. :rolleyes: THAT'S just what I wanted to do..........LOL
oh, hand feeding...:eek:...Im sorry I laughed so much know...perhaps you can lean a board across or rig something up so they are hidden a bit....If it is a grizzle or some white in it ,I will take it when its weaned if you need to find a place for him/her...just a thought..

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, hand feeding...:eek:...Im sorry I laughed so much know...perhaps you can lean a board across or rig something up so they are hidden a bit....If it is a grizzle or some white in it ,I will take it when its weaned if you need to find a place for him/her...just a thought..
I've only got one bird that throws grizzles and she's not involved in this story..........LOL
I expect it will be a BC or BB or have a white flight or something........guess we'll see.
Oh, I don't mind hand feeding once they've got some age on them. It's the tiny 7 and 8 day old babies that I'm not crazy about having to raise. I will IF I need to, but I'd prefer not to.
Just don't have anyone on eggs. Rosie would take it I'm sure, but she's in the hens breeding section, so that wouldn't be any different than where the baby is now.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Tsk tsk tsk...I thought you'd learn from the first time! :p
You never know, maybe that little guy will turn out to be a pro racer. And you can tell Poppy he's not the only oops baby around anymore. He's got a little oops brother or sister! :D

These sort of situations tend to happen a lot, so I wonder...how long a hen can stay fertile after mating? :confused: I know chickens can stay fertile up to 3 weeks...So what about pigeons? That may be helpful to know when you split up birds and random eggs start popping up.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These sort of situations tend to happen a lot, so I wonder...how long a hen can stay fertile after mating? :confused: I know chickens can stay fertile up to 3 weeks...So what about pigeons? That may be helpful to know when you split up birds and random eggs start popping up.

I really don't know, but we should find out I guess. If I had some firm dates to work with, I would know better how this happened. I don't GUESS I've got a cock in with the hens. IF I do, she/he sure has me fooled and has HAD me fooled for a long time...........LOL. The youngest bird in the loft would be a 2008 and with band number 8125.........HAS to be an early hatch.......Jan of 2008.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the surprise!!

OK. This is "mom".........she doesn't have a mate on the OB team. I sent her to a couple of races, but used her to send twice to get health certificates. She would be taken to a vet down in NC and once the certificate was signed, they would turn her loose to come home. I suspect that she's just a hen that mated with another hen that DID have a mate. Just got to figure out which other hen is involved with this relationship. I haven't really paid much attention because we ALL know that two hens don't produce babies, so it didn't really matter too much to me............

And here's the baby that wasn't supposed to be..........

·
Registered
822 Posts
Renee, I just saw a "not-too-old" post of yours saying you were "[jealous]" and that "[you wanted babies]".

Hmmm....you might :rolleyes: want to be careful what you wish for in the future....just sayin' :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Renee, I just saw a "not-too-old" post of yours saying you were jealous and you wanted babies.... Hmmm....you might want to be careful what you wish for in the future
LOL.............You're the SECOND person who's reminded me of that..........:D:D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sounds like good advice, seeing as most of the oops babies that come up always happen AFTER breeding season and everyone has the baby blues :p

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's your name, Renee .... "BLUE" :D:rolleyes:
That may or may not be a good name........I just walked out to the loft to check on the baby and caught the other hen involved in this ordeal. SHE is mated to a red check cock, so it's possible that this baby will be red. I guess we'll all have to stay tuned and see what happens. ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
That may or may not be a good name........I just walked out to the loft to check on the baby and caught the other hen involved in this ordeal. SHE is mated to a red check cock, so it's possible that this baby will be red. I guess we'll all have to stay tuned and see what happens. ;)
Any White involved...ANYWHERE??? Even a patch? How 'bout a flight feather? Red, White, AND Blue .... this was just Memorial Day .... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 156 Posts