Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your question about damacenes.

Hopefully one of our more knowledgable members of different breeds will be on line soon to see your questions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Damascene is a breed of fancy pigeon developed over many years of selective breeding.[1] Damascenes, along with other varieties of domesticated pigeons, are all descendants from the Rock Pigeon (Columba livia). The breed is thought to have originated in Damascus, Syria and hence its name.[2]

·
Registered
857 Posts
I was talking to gentleman from Turkey, who now is living in the US, about my damascenes for sale and he told me that they are very popular as a flying breed in Turkey.
Keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies,i was born and raised in NY,but my parents are from syria and i go there every three summers.over there keeping pigeons on your roof is almost the norm and if you dont its the exception.
thanks again

·
Registered
836 Posts
Origin...

I know this thread is ancient old, but i felt the need to try to answer it. PT member TALON gave me my first and only Damascene on March 1st,2013. I have to admit i love this breed(or at least the one i have) as much as I fancy the West of England Tumbler.
As with many ancient breeds, it is impossible to determine the definitive origin of the Damascene. Damascenes, or Mahomets, as they are often referred to in early written and oral accounts, are even mentioned on Egyptian papyrus rolls and stone carvings.
Although it is commonly believed that the Damascene originated in Damascus, Syria (hence the name Damascene), there are indications that the breed might have been developed in either Turkey or Iran (Persia).
The first Mahomets were imported into England in 1868. These pigeons were imported from Constantinople (Istanbul) and were sold to James Wallace of Glasgow. When Wallace showed them in 1879, he referred to them as Damascenes. And the rest, as they say, is history.

To me,Turkey makes the most logical sense of origin, hence the immense popularity in Turkey and the Turks were using the Damascene for flying as late as 1954... Now since the origin is "up for debate" so to speak,my theory is this..
If anyone studies religious or biblical history, Noah was said to have landed in Turkey. In fact, Ron Wyatt discovered its remains. Thus i suggest Damascenes were the first or at least one of the breeds of Noah,and as his family spread(from Turkey to Iran to etc..), thus spread the Damascene.
:D

I was talking to gentleman from Turkey, who now is living in the US, about my damascenes for sale and he told me that they are very popular as a flying breed in Turkey.
Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts