Pigeon-Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DANGER:eek:The dove season starts in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA sept.1-15 and starts again from NOV.14-DEC.28 This is to warn those that will be training or racing their birds and those that have one loft races.If your birds race over other states you best check when their dove season starts.I think it would be a smart thing for all combines to check on the start of these doves seasons before they make up their races for NEXT YEAR GEORGE;)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Ye..Haw !!

Time to grab the shot guns and start blasting at anything moving in the sky !!

Yep, except here in Pa., they can shoot pigeons 24/7. The morning dove at least have most of the year in which to not get legally shot. A flock of racing pigeons flying overhead is almost always shot at, I imagine just for the sheer "fun" of seeing how many can get blasted with a single shot, but figure those hunting "sportsmen" will empty those guns !! :(

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Definitely not true. A guy in my combine lives near popular dove hunting grounds. In one day he lost nearly half his flock, most likely due to hunting. You can only shoot but so many doves at a time, and if some of the stupid, irresponsible hunters aren't seeing anough game, they will shoot at other birds for pleasure.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Not to mention, pigeons aren't native to the US, so they aren't protected....and since most consider them pests, people don't care if they are shot for absolutely no reason :(

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well it happens, trust me. Every once in a while, a hunter who has the better head on their shoulders, will notice a bird they shot was banded, and will actually care. A lot of people who race have had their birds return (or get found) with shot in their wings, legs, and everywhere else. I don't know if you know anything about guns, but with shotguns and dove hunting, the shot range has to be fairly wide so that they have a better chance at hitting those quick little boogers. So technically, pigeons/other birds could get hit with stray shot, even if the hunter didn't intend it.
Usually if someone knows what they're doing, they can tell a dove from something else in the air. But like I said, some just don't care :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Definitely not true. A guy in my combine lives near popular dove hunting grounds. In one day he lost nearly half his flock, most likely due to hunting. You can only shoot but so many doves at a time, and if some of the stupid, irresponsible hunters aren't seeing anough game, they will shoot at other birds for pleasure.
Yep, the irresponsible hunters are the ones that make a bad name for the RESPONSIBLE HUNTERS, if any on here would say there is one. Most have no clue what one is or does to help out any and all wild life. But we still go out to kill just to kill, or blast at anything moving in the sky :eek::(. WHATEVER!!!

Ye..Haw !!

Time to grab the shot guns and start blasting at anything moving in the sky !!

Yep, except here in Pa., they can shoot pigeons 24/7. those hunting "sportsmen" will empty those guns !! :(
Lets try to not be so judge mental PLEASE!!! Not all "sportsmen" as you say are the same. Ya some are real dumb a$$es and I will be the first to admit it, but come on.

Why do they shoot at the pigeons? I thought people only shot at doves usually, is that true?
In some states Band tailed Pigeons are a game bird and have a hunting season. But like Warren said most states they can be shot 24/7.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lets try to not be so judge mental PLEASE!!! Not all "sportsmen" as you say are the same. Ya some are real dumb a$$es and I will be the first to admit it, but come on.
Could we try to keep the threads clean please?
I'm younger so that was a little disturbing

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I agree, please try not to say things like that :)

But to the sportsmen, I know how you feel, and what you mean. I'm not a dove hunter, as I'm not sure I could handle it (plus the first shotgun I fired kicked really bad and just ruined all shotguns for me, haha). But I do deerhunt, and I know there are those who seem to get some sort of sick pleasure from killing animals in general. And then there are those who are more responsible, and better people IMO, who actually hunt for the right reasons. Note that I said some, not all hunters, which I think others should try to do as well, so not to give the wrong idea to people. I for one do know how important hunting is. Not just to keep populations down, but also a very large chunk of money towards wildlife conservation comes from the money we pay for hunting supplies :)

But anyways....Yeah....

I think it would be great if we could go to some of these hunting clubs and let them know about our birds, and how it would be nice if they'd try not to shoot them. Some will ignore it, but you could possibly make a small difference. Most of them probably don't realize how wonderful what they're 'accidentally' shooting is. And if they were to bring down a banded bird, maybe they would have the decency to contact someone to let the owner know their bird is either dead, or injured. I hate finding something's happened to my birds, but if it was shot, I would like to know, ya know?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree, please try not to say things like that :)

But to the sportsmen, I know how you feel, and what you mean. I'm not a dove hunter, as I'm not sure I could handle it (plus the first shotgun I fired kicked really bad and just ruined all shotguns for me, haha). But I do deerhunt, and I know there are those who seem to get some sort of sick pleasure from killing animals in general. And then there are those who are more responsible, and better people IMO, who actually hunt for the right reasons. Note that I said some, not all hunters, which I think others should try to do as well, so not to give the wrong idea to people. I for one do know how important hunting is. Not just to keep populations down, but also a very large chunk of money towards wildlife conservation comes from the money we pay for hunting supplies :)

But anyways....Yeah....

I think it would be great if we could go to some of these hunting clubs and let them know about our birds, and how it would be nice if they'd try not to shoot them. Some will ignore it, but you could possibly make a small difference. Most of them probably don't realize how wonderful what they're 'accidentally' shooting is. And if they were to bring down a banded bird, maybe they would have the decency to contact someone to let the owner know their bird is either dead, or injured. I hate finding something's happened to my birds, but if it was shot, I would like to know, ya know?
Well, I for one know both sides of this coin. I hunted in my younger days and quit dove hunting at 17 when some dummy peppered me from across the field because of a low flying dove. Luckly for me I was just out of range and while it stung none of the shot broke the skin or hit my eyes.

Like all things there are good and bad. Like Becky said hunting serves a purpose and is needed for population control and wildlife conservation. Most people who hunt are very serious and careful. They obey the laws for their states and only shoot what they hunt. We do not hear about those people cause that is not news. News is the dummies that do stupid things.

Even in pigeons I have found great people willing to help and are concern for what is best for their birds and their sport, I have also found people who do not.

The point of this thread is to warn us that there can be dummies with guns hunting that can mistake a cow for a deer, so they will surely mistake a pigeon for a dove. Take the warning serious and train with that in mind. There is nothing to gain by trashing one sport or another because of a few stupid people.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well said Big T.

Well, I for one know both sides of this coin. I hunted in my younger days and quit dove hunting at 17 when some dummy peppered me from across the field because of a low flying dove. Luckly for me I was just out of range and while it stung none of the shot broke the skin or hit my eyes.

Like all things there are good and bad. Like Becky said hunting serves a purpose and is needed for population control and wildlife conservation. Most people who hunt are very serious and careful. They obey the laws for their states and only shoot what they hunt. We do not hear about those people cause that is not news. News is the dummies that do stupid things.

Even in pigeons I have found great people willing to help and are concern for what is best for their birds and their sport, I have also found people who do not.

The point of this thread is to warn us that there can be dummies with guns hunting that can mistake a cow for a deer, so they will surely mistake a pigeon for a dove. Take the warning serious and train with that in mind. There is nothing to gain by trashing one sport or another because of a few stupid people.

God Bless,
Tony

Well said Big T. There are some stupid people raising pigeons as well, that shouldn't ...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Becky, I am glad to hear that you deer hunt. It is cool to see more women getting involved into hunting what ever the game might be. We as "sportsman" need more of them to fight the antis.

Hey, I may be one of the stupid people raising pigeons. Just because some don't agree with what I use them for, but don't for a second think that I don't take care of them and provide a good home for them. I think it is pretty cool watching them fly around the house. Or watching them trap when they are hungry. Or all the color variations they have. Or........... The other night me and my family went out to dinner and took the birds for a small toss, we could see the birds flying home as we were driving. My boys thought that is was cool, they thought they were following us or racing us home. The birds won the race. :cool:

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Start Your Own Thread

I posted this thread to warn racing people about the up comming dove season and the danger that there birds face. I DID not intend that this become a thread for those of you who hunt SO WHY DON'T YOU START YOUR OWN HUNTING THREAD.:mad:GEORGE:mad:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I posted this thread to warn racing people about the up comming dove season and the danger that there birds face. I DID not intend that this become a thread for those of you who hunt SO WHY DON'T YOU START YOUR OWN HUNTING THREAD.:mad:GEORGE:mad:
Remember that many people read this tread and while making no comments, heard your warning. Thank you and please do not get mad, I for one have changed some training drop off points because of your warning.

Thanks George and keep posting,
Tony

·
Registered
85 Posts

That would be a great idea, I would love to talk hunting with some of you folks, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, since that topic is "prohibited" on this site, I will just sit back and listen and learn about pigeons. Over the weekend I rescued a parakeet, thought that was pretty cool, found the owner and returned it to the kids that lost their bird :):cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am still fairly new here so please excuse me if I share an opinion. It may come as a surprise to some, but many people who hunt are also very compassionate when it comes to animals and birds. The 18th century philosoher and hunter Ortega Agusset once wrote that; "One does not hunt in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted." In short, many hunters care more about the pursuit of game than the bagging of game. Granted, there are slobs in any sport, but generally it has been my observation that they remain in the minority. I hunt, but we also keep pigeons, chickens, rabbits and have several cats and dogs. I get involved in any opportunty to rescue an animal and have particiapted in many rehab projects. My annual vet bills alone are a testiment to the lengths I will go to care for my animals. And, I have cried like a child more than once over the loss of a pet. Please don't put all hunters in the category of heartless murderers. Remember, as close as we might be to our animals, they remain animals and were put here for us to use and enjoy....if not, man would have become vegan centuries ago. If that is your choice, fine, but humans are omnivours and some of us choose differently...that does not make us wrong nor should it subject us to uninformed ridicule.

Most respectfully,
Mike

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HI Mike, The reason that I started this thread was to inform PIGEON flyers that the dove season was about to start. No where did I say that hunters were bad people.I did get a bit upset over the fact that hunters and perhaps a dog trainer were quick on the trigger and changed this thread into " I am a hunter" I will say it again those that want to talk about hunting start your own thread on hunting in the small talk forum GEORGE;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.