Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It's used when the bird made it home the same day it was let go. It's usually used for the longer races or in smash races when harldy any birds made it back on the day.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
most races 300 miles or over are called 2 day races for clocking reasons. But lots of birds can make a 500 mile -600 mile race in a day.--ever thing in their favor of corse.
A Day Bird

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
most races 300 miles or over are called 2 day races for clocking reasons. But lots of birds can make a 500 mile -600 mile race in a day.--ever thing in their favor of corse.
A Day Bird
I think it is amzing that a bird can do it but for pedigree purposes I don't think a 500 mile day bird is all that special these days. It's one thing if it was a day bird and a winner. But if your just saying day bird on the pedigree that means the bird got beat becasue if it won they would be calling it a 500 mile winner. Even if it was 2nd or 3rd. they most likly put that on the pedigree over just saying day bird.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
A combine is where you may have 2 or more clubs that join together and ship the birds as one it's more economical to send out one big truck or trailer then it is to send out 9 separate little trucks or trailers. Like here on Long Island we have about 9 clubs that make up the Long Island Combine. So when we race we can win at the club level or at the combine level. I'll use my club as an example you might only have to beat 300 birds to win my club on a given week. But in the combine there could be 2000 to 2500 birds And I gotta tell you it feels nice topping the combine. Especially when it's your first win and you do it with 2 pigeons.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you get a day bird from 500 miles or 600 miles you've got something to build on for sure, only the best birds make those distances on the day,also remember saying 500 miles is just a general statement, many fliers may be over that distance for that race like 550 or so, makes a big difference when you know the actual distance the bird has flown, some fliers are really short flying only 448 miles in a so called 500 mile race! The same goes for the 600 mile race I value a bird that has to fly more than 600 miles (SAY 650 miles) on the day than a guy who flies short say 550 miles, so there are many factors to consider concerning day birds! BTW JMHO these birds are the cream of the crop in pigeon racing!:)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
oo.
thanks guys.

another question..
what are combines?
race combines or somthin like that,
There is a pigeon dictionary you can download off the net for free. Thats what i did when i started. It has all the terms and there meanings I not sure where i got it. I will look when i get home or maybe someone else knows

1 - 9 of 9 Posts