Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you want to rotate dewowrmers, as to help the parasites not become immune to the meds, include one that kills tape worm as ivomec does not cover those.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I get mine at the G&H in Iowa, La I bye the injection for swine and cattle. then I put in in a visine bottle, I give them 3 drops when they are wean, the next time I give it to them is when I bring them on a training toss, I toss my birds two at a time in a single crate.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi HENRY, JEDDS carrys just about all the Worm meds.They can be expensive Ivomec is about the best and if you have a small amount of birds it might be the way to go. You can get in a drench that you use it the drinking water, but it costs around 80 or 85 dollars for a quart size container. The drop type cost about 50 dollars, and this may be the best way for you to go, as i believe that you have a small number of birds.You need to know that Ivomec is realy a wormer for pigs and the form that we use in drops is meant to be injected in pigs so it comes in a 50ml but you remove the rubber stopper so as to get the dropper into the bottle,.the more I think about it maybe Siegel's is the place to go,as it seems that they have a wider range of products. so here is their web www.siegelpigeons.com their phone is 1-800-437-4436 ask them to send you a catalog, they have 100cc bottle of the drench type of Ivomectin they call it EQVALAN cost is 8.95 but my catalog is a year old that price may be out dated. Henry I must say from the looks of your birds you do a fine job caring for them.One other thing band those DRAGOONS use a number 10 size band and show them at the PAGEANT OF PIGEONS in November you just might enjoy it there not many shown and you just have a shot at winning. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

ProPigeon - What external parasites does the Moxidectin Plus take care of? It sounds like a great all in one if it rids external parasites along with the internal parasites.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi HENRY, JEDDS carrys just about all the Worm meds.They can be expensive Ivomec is about the best and if you have a small amount of birds it might be the way to go. You can get in a drench that you use it the drinking water, but it costs around 80 or 85 dollars for a quart size container. The drop type cost about 50 dollars, and this may be the best way for you to go, as i believe that you have a small number of birds.You need to know that Ivomec is realy a wormer for pigs and the form that we use in drops is meant to be injected in pigs so it comes in a 50ml but you remove the rubber stopper so as to get the dropper into the bottle,.the more I think about it maybe Siegel's is the place to go,as it seems that they have a wider range of products. so here is their web www.siegelpigeons.com their phone is 1-800-437-4436 ask them to send you a catalog, they have 100cc bottle of the drench type of Ivomectin they call it EQVALAN cost is 8.95 but my catalog is a year old that price may be out dated. Henry I must say from the looks of your birds you do a fine job caring for them.One other thing band those DRAGOONS use a number 10 size band and show them at the PAGEANT OF PIGEONS in November you just might enjoy it there not many shown and you just have a shot at winning. GEORGE;)
Thanks for the comment George. Yeah, I try to care for my birds the best way I know how and whatever I can afford. I didn't put this on my first post but I'm also looking for the most cost effective way to deworm them. like everyone else money is tight right now. I currently have 25 birds, dragoons and racing homers included so I was thinking going the tablet route because you get 100 tablets per bottle and that would give me 2 years if I wormed them twice a year or 4 years if I only did it once a year.

Regarding my Dragoons and showing them, I will think it over and see if I can afford to show them at the Pageant of Pigeons. It would be nice to win a show with my dragoons.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MOXIDECTIN Plus

Category Anthelmintic

Active ingredients Moxidectin, praziquantel

Guaranteed analysis Moxidectin 2 mg/ml, praziquantel 18.8 mg/ml

Available sizes 125 ml

Directions
Flock treatment – Dilute at the rate of 5 ml to 1 litre of drinking water and make available to the birds for 24 hours. The solution should be made fresh prior to use and provided in a clean drinking vessel. Remove all other sources of water

Individual bird treatment – 0.25 ml per 400 g (pigeon) body weight

Notes
Moxidectin Plus is a fully water-soluble palatable syrup. Added to the drinking water for 24 hours, it clears roundworm (Ascaridia spp.), hairworm (Capillaria spp.) and tapeworm (cestode) infection. It is also effective against all external parasites that feed off body fluids, including mites and pigeon flies (Pseudolynchia spp.). Moxidectin Plus also eliminates airsac mites (Sternostoma spp., Cytodites spp.). It has a wide safety margin and is safe to use during racing and breeding. It does not affect feather quality and is safe to use during moulting. Moxidectin Plus does not cause nausea and so the birds can be fed and loft-flown normally during treatment
Not to be used in birds producing meat or eggs for human consumption
This sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again Henry yes try that Moxidectin Plus cost 23dollars I have never used it but I am ording a bottle today.GEORGE;)
Thanks George I'll do that this evening!:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven't tried the Moxidectin Plus but use the plain Moxidectin and recommend it highly- it does brilliantly added to the bathwater at 1ml to 2 litres for external parasites, and has worked effectively for me as a whole loft drench in the drinking water. Will go for the Moxidectin Plus if I get tapeworm problems.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't tried the Moxidectin Plus but use the plain Moxidectin and recommend it highly- it does brilliantly added to the bathwater at 1ml to 2 litres for external parasites, and has worked effectively for me as a whole loft drench in the drinking water. Will go for the Moxidectin Plus if I get tapeworm problems.
So for external parasites you add it in the bathwater? I thought you give it to them in the drinking water and that takes care of both internal and external or is that just with the Moxidectin Plus? I'm a little confused....:confused:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So for external parasites you add it in the bathwater? I thought you give it to them in the drinking water and that takes care of both internal and external or is that just with the Moxidectin Plus? I'm a little confused....:confused:
I used to use this stuff too. I never put mine in the bath water. Costs too much. Giving it to them in their drinking water will take care of things, inside and out. The difference in the Mox. and the Mox. Plus is that the Mox. Plus takes care of round worms and the plain Mox. doesn't.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it! Thanks Renee, so how often should I use this stuff and should I feed them like i normally feed while medicating them with this stuff? I want to add that I also give my birds garlic water and ACV twice a week will that affect anything?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
You can do what you normally do. If I remember right, this stuff only needs to be used for one 24 hour day.
I give my birds vitamins in the water and ACV too. You can still do that, but what I like to do is give clear water a few days in between putting "stuff" of any kind in the water.
You don't need to use the mox. any more often than you would any other wormer. Couple times a year maybe? Unless you see a problem of course. Don't use it to get rid of mites or lice.......if you have a problem with bugs but no problem with worms, then use something else for the buggies.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info Renee. I bought Permethrin dust for mites and lice issues. I had a bird the other week infested with lice after he had gone missing for a day. The dust took care of the problem right away!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts