Pigeon-Talk banner

Dead baby.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jay3 
G
#1 ·
Hello. My name is Amanda. I am a 21 year old college student and a sucker for birds.

A pair nested and hatched their eggs on my balcony. I was so happy!
Recently, the smaller one died, but I have not seen mother around.
Dad is posted on the outside lamp, but I have not seen him go to the nest.

The surviving chick has moved out of the nest.

My boyfriend is coming over and we were going to take the dead one out, is this the right idea? Please let me know.

It makes me quite sad.

-Amanda Jones
amandajones@my.unt.edu

#4 · (Edited)
My other account would not send me an activation link, so here I am.
Last night we removed the dead baby.
Mom and dad were very close by, but I dont think they saw.
The surviving baby was chilling under the chair right next to the nest...hes not gone too far.
Will the mom and dad stay away from the nest if there is a dead babe in it?
Its starting to get a little cold at night, so hopefully by getting rid of the dead one and putting some crumbs out there, they will make the nest their home again.
Any tips?

#6 ·
You wanted to remove the deceased one because basically flies and bugs will move in and mak the nest uninhabitable. keep an eye on the survivor, see if he/she seems alert and 'with it'...and if the mom and dad keep hanging around the nest. Do you know how old it is (when did the eggs hatch, give or take a day or two) ?

Thanks for caring.

#7 ·
Uhm. Sorry it took so long to respond!

The eggs hatched on September 12 (thank you facebook status updates!)

The surviving bird looks great! He is getting so big everyday and all his yellow baby feathers are starting to disappear. He perks up and peeps at me when I walk out to smoke.

Mom and Dad have been hanging out as a pair more and more lately...which is strange, because it use to be only one watching guard and then they would trade off.

Thank you guys for all the help...I would have just left the dead one there.

I put the dead one in the bushes so hopefully at least a stray cat got dinner for the night...The circle of life is still so heartbreaking sometimes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.