Pigeon-Talk banner

Dead Chick: Normal?

303 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Miss Metta 
#1 ·
Hi
Two eggs hatched a day apart, I find a dead chick this morning, it looks squashed. I don't know if it's the first or the second, I've basically been leaving them to it. Is it usual for one chick to die?
How can I tell they are feeding the other? I haven't seen them doing it, but they are sitting on it.
The parents are an Old German Owl and a Red Cap and I had concerns about beak length but was reassured by someone else here they would be fine with feeding.
thanks
Metta

#3 ·
Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure it was squashed. I removed it immediately. I've now seen the hen making head motions to feed the remaining chick (I didn't actually see it feeding, but she had her head down and making movements) and later seen the cock actually feeding it though it seemed to take a while for the little one to actually find inside his beak, they kept missing each other. Not sure if that's normal either. They found each other's beaks eventually but it took a while. The concern is he is short-beaked so I've been keeping an eye. . She is slightly short beaked, but not like he is. I won't stick my hand in. Even though he has a very short beak, he will grab and twist which feels like a sharp pinch, and it's surprisingly painful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.