Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am Scratchy! (if there is an intro sub-forum on here then I could move it accordingly, although I saw none) I am the proud friends of a white shepherd and 11 chickens.
I have always wanted a bird as a pet though. (yeah chickens are birds, but I mean a house bird.) I've owned a canary in the past, but it just wasn't for me. sitting and watching just doesn't fit. I've looked at many types of small novice birds: quail, budgies, cockatiels, conures, and doves.

I wanted a bird that wasn't too high energy, and liked to be petted.
I've narrowed it down to a tiel or dove.

the tiel is cuddly and will become even closer to an owner as you all know. (well most of the time) it doesn't rip up toys and flop around everywhere as much as other parrots, and is generally mellow and not too loud. the downside is I have heard they can be needy and create a ton of dander, they also need a lot of mental stimulation (a calm parrot is still a parrot.)

then I checked out doves. most sources say ringneck doves tame down better than diamonds, and become quite tame in general, which makes sense. however they are a bit more expensive and messy. (expensive generally meaning getting a big enough flight cage)

I have heard a lot of conflicting info on diamonds, some sources say they can tame down, but other sources say you should leave them alone. they are cute and more interesting compared to other birds I've owned, and they need less space, are less messy, and less expensive.

(note: the bird I'd be getting is singly. atleast at first. I'd tame down one, then get another bird, and tame it down in a separate room. for any bird I get.)

Summer is starting soon so I'll be able to devote a good amount of time to my bird for a few months. but when school comes back, Ill be gone all day until 2. and then I can come back and spend more time with the feathered child.

thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a very happy ringneck owner, and I would recommend a ringneck any day. Diamonds are cute as heck but their small size makes them pretty fragile in comparison, and I've heard they're quite a bit wilder and spookier than ringnecks. I've never owned any cockatiels, or any parrots for that matter, but I've known several people that have, and the fact is that they are intelligent, high maintenence, and can be very loud about it. They're also not domesticated the way that ringneck doves are. I won't lie, my dove boy won't win any IQ tests, but he's cuddly, sweet, doesn't hold a grudge if I mess up, and he's the best buddy anyone could wish for.

As for keeping, doves need a broad, wide cage with a flat bottom rather than a high one, but they don't need the kind of toys parrots do. A few perches, water, and a food bowl they can't poop in will do. And a large dog bowl with an inch or two of water for bathing on the floor, over a towel - - they love baths! They are a bit messy, but even if given free reign they'll have a few "choice" spots that can be adjusted for easier cleaning. It will take a bit to get them acclimated to you but once you're in, you're in, and they'll bond to you very deeply, especially if kept singly.

Just a warning, the males can be loud as tiny roosters, but they also avoid the potential medical egg issues of females (binding/calcium deficiency/etc), and often you can't tell which is which until they lay or don't anyway, haha. I've had both and they've all been truly fantastic individuals. My current dove, Half-Ring, loves to take naps on my leg, rides on my shoulder, gives 'kisses', he's too cute for words. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts