Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend found this pigeon, She gave it to me to take in, and nurse it to health. It does not seem to be injured or suffering from any trauma that I can see; no bleeding, no serious injuries. I think it's still baby that possibly fell from the nest. However, I do have a concern with it's beak.

It's beak is slightly crooked. Initially I would think it's an injury but something tells me it could be a deformity. I am concerned about it have problems eating. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He doesn't look good. Can you post more pictures at different angles, clear shots?
Is there something wrong with his eye, or is it just the pic?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
young eurasian collared dove? something defiantly looks wrong with his eye to. Looks foggy, pushed in and his lower lid looks swollen. there shouldn't be gunk in a healthy eye. Could be pox? looks like lesions on his beak?
or trich that is displacing his beak. It can build up on the inside and deform the beak. It will look like yellow cheesy gunk. Poor angel defiantly needs urgent help. Thank you for taking him in!
if he is not eating/drinking he will need immediate supportive care.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Agree with GimpieLover. There shouldn't be gunk in his eyes. If there is, then there is something going on. As was also mentioned, could be pox or canker. Is there something inside the mouth? Definitely need clearer pictures. Where are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here are more pictures showing him in different angles, I think I am 90% sure it's a broken beak. I should get him to a rehabilitation tomorrow morning. I don't think he's able to feed, so I would have to give him some support.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**Update**

I took it to a place called Pelican Harbor Seabird Station. They specialize on seabirds, but are known to take in any native injured wildlife; owls, pigeons, etc. They confirmed that his beak is damaged but they will do everything they can to fix his beak. They gave me his reference number, and phone number to call for updates. Will update post again when I get an update.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The poor thing. Looks like there is still something in there. The top beak couldn't have been cut that far back anyway. And don't believe the bottom beak will grow out.
Let us know how it goes with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.