Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my horse is in the process of being sold and I'm starting a new job. That means I will have enough money to build my free-standing loft. So, it's time to start thinking of loft designs... I expect to have a pre-made shed altered by a handyman or custom built to my specifications. My best friends brother could make a palace of a loft for me if he has time, otherwise I will be hiring someone else to do the work. I decided to go forward full blast and that means not waiting for hubby to have time to do things.

So, if I built my own I would for sure have at least two sections to my loft for separation of breeders, etc. But, how important is that? There is a pre-built VERY nice loft in my area that only has one section. It's 8X8 and he's asking $800. I'm trying to rule it out, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on 1 section vs. two?

Also, I'm looking for a loft that is about 8X10 - 10X12. Should I tell the builder my loft needs and let him suggest buildings or should I have a loft design (blueprint) ready for him?

I just need to chat about this with someone and narrow down my wants/needs before talking to a handyman/builder.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
get ideas from Lovebirds loft . Ideal to have three sections one for your ob flyers, one for the training ybs and a breeding section for the pairs you want to breed, also decide how many birds you want to have total and decide how big the loft should be, have to have aviaries as well.:) you can use the yb section(when birds are trained) to put hens in when you want to seperate them form the cock birds.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I really like LoveBirds Loft design... This one: http://lovebirdsloft.homestead.com/WidowhoodLoftPage.html

How much do you think something like this would cost of I had someone else build it? I wouldn't need mine near as fancy, but I like the basic design of it.
Just dropping in and right back out again.........WE built that loft and it was around $1500, but that was 4 years ago. My husband did all the work plus ran the electric. Things have gone up since then.
In fact, my husband is building some nest boxes right now for a guy in our club. He priced the lumber last Wed........went to buy it yesterday and some of it had gone up $1.00 a sheet...............:rolleyes:
If you paid someone to do it, I expect it would cost quite a bit. YOU could probably build two for what they would charge you. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LoveBird. I'm in the process of talking to all kinds of builders. One guy said if I found a pre-built shed that he could put it in our backyard. Then he'd do the alterations to make it a coop.

I'm hoping to keep around 30-40 birds. I was saying 20 before, but I think 30-40 is probably a little more realistic.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and Lovebird? What if we didn't finish the walls inside quite as nice and made it more basic...do you think that would cut the price down at all?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Oh, and Lovebird? What if we didn't finish the walls inside quite as nice and made it more basic...do you think that would cut the price down at all?
Yea, lots of people don't finish the inside. We had just taken down all the paneling in our den and put up drywall, so my husband reused what we took down to do the inside of our lofts.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So, my horse is in the process of being sold and I'm starting a new job. That means I will have enough money to build my free-standing loft. So, it's time to start thinking of loft designs... I expect to have a pre-made shed altered by a handyman or custom built to my specifications. My best friends brother could make a palace of a loft for me if he has time, otherwise I will be hiring someone else to do the work. I decided to go forward full blast and that means not waiting for hubby to have time to do things.

So, if I built my own I would for sure have at least two sections to my loft for separation of breeders, etc. But, how important is that? There is a pre-built VERY nice loft in my area that only has one section. It's 8X8 and he's asking $800. I'm trying to rule it out, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on 1 section vs. two?

Also, I'm looking for a loft that is about 8X10 - 10X12. Should I tell the builder my loft needs and let him suggest buildings or should I have a loft design (blueprint) ready for him?

I just need to chat about this with someone and narrow down my wants/needs before talking to a handyman/builder.

Thanks.
A quick way to figure out how many birds a loft will hold......l
8 X 10 = 80 divided by 2 = 40. That's approx number. Of course, less is better and I wouldn't put MORE than that.
10 X 12 = 120 divided by 2 = 60
Even each section in a loft with more than one section can be figured like this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I actually found someone who could build a loft using LoveBird's design. Is it okay if we use your design, Lovebird? I absolutely LOVE it. It seems about perfect for my needs and won't look bad as just a nice shed if we ever get out of pigeons. :) Your husband much be VERY good.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So, I actually found someone who could build a loft using LoveBird's design. Is it okay if we use your design, Lovebird? I absolutely LOVE it. It seems about perfect for my needs and won't look bad as just a nice shed if we ever get out of pigeons. :) Your husband much be VERY good.
Help your self! Wait till you see the set of nest boxes he's building. It's a 4 X 8 box with 9 nest boxes and doors. When he's finished, we're taking it over and just hanging it on the wall. I wish he had built three or four lofts before he built ours. Every time he builds one, he comes up with some new idea, which of course I don't have in MY loft.......LOL

·
Registered
272 Posts
Love those whites! Do you find your birds poop a lot on the ones below?
I have wooden V-perches so the birds keep pretty clean, but the perches seem so flimsy and a number of them have broken. I was thinking of replacing the V-perches with perches like this.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Love those whites! Do you find your birds poop a lot on the ones below?
I have wooden V-perches so the birds keep pretty clean, but the perches seem so flimsy and a number of them have broken. I was thinking of replacing the V-perches with perches like this.
I have not had a prob with pooping on each other, I imagine it may happen sometimes, but my birds get a bath one or two times a week. the v perches look uncomfortable to me, but thats just me, these are easy to clean and really don't pile up with poo because it is off the wall 2 inches and most of the poopies fall to the floor.:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I have two quotes coming in for building a basic version of your coop, Lovebird. I'll let you all know what they are when I get them. I'm still hoping to find a pre-built shed, cause materials are so expensive, but we'll see. If it's anywhere near by price limit I may consider having it built from scratch... It's sure be nice to have things new and to my specifications. Any other suggestions? Would you do things any different, Lovebird? I was thinking of making it a touch wider(deeper), but only if it was not too expensive to do so.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Okay, I have two quotes coming in for building a basic version of your coop, Lovebird. I'll let you all know what they are when I get them. I'm still hoping to find a pre-built shed, cause materials are so expensive, but we'll see. If it's anywhere near by price limit I may consider having it built from scratch... It's sure be nice to have things new and to my specifications. Any other suggestions? Would you do things any different, Lovebird? I was thinking of making it a touch wider(deeper), but only if it was not too expensive to do so.
Our little loft is 8 X 16. The lumber comes in 4ft panels, so IMO, if you make it bigger (deeper) then you might as well go 16ft deep, because any less than that, you'd be cutting off the 4ft lumber. It of course can be used for other things. My husband doesn't throw away ANY wood. :rolleyes:
So, you're going with 2 sections?
What exactly are your plans for your birds? Are you looking to get more? Will you be raising babies?
My loft is in two sections but one is quite a bit smaller than the other and there's a reason for that, but depending on what your plans are, you may or may not want to do that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to keep a couple of teams of homers. Fly them for fun and for family enjoyment. I'm toying with the idea of doing white bird release on the side to off-set costs. I'd also like to keep some Parlor Rollers (for now since my son is 2) for my husband and son-they may perhaps migrate to a flying pigeon later on. ;) We thought that would be more fun then the normal backyard rabbit. I guess I was under the impression that they breed/multiple quickly, so I thought a large loft would be better. I thought the cock side might double as the breeding coop, but other than that I hadn't thought about the size difference. Please share!!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I would like to keep a couple of teams of homers. Fly them for fun and for family enjoyment. I'm toying with the idea of doing white bird release on the side to off-set costs. I'd also like to keep some Parlor Rollers (for now since my son is 2) for my husband and son-they may perhaps migrate to a flying pigeon later on. ;) We thought that would be more fun then the normal backyard rabbit. I guess I was under the impression that they breed/multiple quickly, so I thought a large loft would be better. I thought the cock side might double as the breeding coop, but other than that I hadn't thought about the size difference. Please share!!
Well, let's see.....homers, white birds for a release and Parlor Tumblers.
You need to build a barn.....a BIG barn........:D
Seriously though.........my small loft isn't near big enough to keep all those birds. And, your impression is correct. They DO breed/multiply quickly.
You COULD keep your white birds and homers together, but the problem with that is keeping the white birds white. They would mate up with the homers no doubt, cause that's "Murphy's Law" and before long, your white birds would be grizzles, blue check, blue bars, etc..........
An 8 X 16 could be divided into 3 sections of approx. 5ft each, so three 4 X 5 section would hold 10 birds each.
The reason my loft has a section bigger than the other, is so when I put my birds together....there's room for all of them. I keep between 12 and 15 (going back to 12 this year) pairs of birds. The small section, which is 4 X 8 will hold 15 birds. The larger section, which is 8 X 8, will hold 32 birds, so there's plenty of room for 24 or 30 when they are together.
It's a good idea to separate the sexes for at least part of the year, but it's not absolutely necessary. As long as they are together, they'll always be on a nest of eggs. The eggs of course can be replaced with plastic/wooden eggs, so you don't have to raise babies all the time, but IMO, the hens need a break for a while every year.
SO........let's say you DON'T separate your pairs........you could keep the breeders in the bigger side and put the youngsters that you raise on the smaller side, but you're still limited to 15 or 16 babies.
Once the babies reach 28 to 30 days old, they really should be moved out of the breeder section, away from the parents. By this age, the parents are starting another nest and will view their youngsters as just another pigeon. Lots of babies get scalped because of this. Between the parents and the other birds, they're just better off in thier own section where they can all be babies together and grow up together.
So, you get your breeders, you raise a few babies..........next year, your "babies" will now be a year old and THEY'LL want to make nests and have babies. Where will the babies go in two years? Where will the one year old birds go? You can put them in the breeders section, but then you've got to move out some breeders to make room...........it's really a vicious cycle and you can get overrun in no time, which leads to sick, unhappy birds which makes YOU unhappy and frustrated.........
I'm really not trying to discourage you. Just trying to make a point.
Now, if you are well disciplined and have good self control, you can make a loft the size you're talking about work, but if you're like the REST of us........we have NO self control when it comes to pigeons. My husband is the reason I don't have more birds than I do. ;)
It really boils down to doing your homework, figuring out what you REALLY want to do and build what you need to build to do what you want to do.
When we started with pigeons, we build a small 8 X 10 loft. No sooner than we got through with it, we knocked out a wall and added another 4 ft.
When we moved here, we built the big loft. That was SUPPOSED to function and do everything we wanted to do with pigeons. The next year, we built the smaller loft. AND, if I had MY way....we'd probably have at least one more loft and maybe even two.
Sounds like fun??? :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Keep an eye out at the home improvement stores. They will often close out paneling designs/patterns or sell stock super cheap when doing a re-set in that area. I got 15 sheets of a lt blue denim pattern that I used for my dog kennel for 1.00 a sheet, normally 15.00, of course I worked there, but if you frequent a particular store and are "good" to the guys/gals on the floor and shop with that person often... they'll tend to give you better price breaks. You could also finish with 1/4 in exterior rated Luan (lou-wan) plywood. It will take paint fairly well if you use a good primer too.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts