Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'al,
I deworm my birds every 21 days by rotating the medicines but still I can see tape worm segments moving and round worm eggs in the droppings.
I use pyrantel pamoate for roundworms(prescribed by a general vet), ivermectin,praziquantel. 2 drops per pigeon individually without feed. Then I tried albendazole in water for 3 days(said to be broad spectrum dewormer). But after few days I see round worm eggs in droppings again. I clean the coop after deworming. I was recomended moxidectin but its unavailable in india. What's happening? How the worms keep coming back?
Is it resistance which those creepy worms have developed? Christ, I literally hate'em... Help

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You need a wormer that takes care of everything including tapeworm. Moxidectin plus does that. Unfortunately not all wormers do. You can't see roundworm eggs in the droppings. Maybe tapeworms.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tnx Jason for reply,I have 36 birds
But Jay3 moxidectin+ is not available. If those are not round worm eggs then what are these small ball-shaped tiny white mustard seed sized things in droppings. Do look like some eggs to me. They r numerous... Any idea?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you take a dropping sample to a vet to find out what they are? Maybe they are tapeworm segments that you are seeing. Would a vet there know what will kill tapeworm?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish govt vets would be that responsible and dedicated to their job over here in India. I took the droppings to a general govt vet. She told me that these tiny white things are round worm eggs so prescribed me pyrantel pamoate and said its cheap and works excellent against roundworms. But she never conducted any tests not even when I had serious problems with my pigeons,squabs were dying. I took birds to her but she never conducted any test just prescribed general medicines and said this is all I can do. I pleaded her to conduct saliva,blood and droppings tests but she never did it. She claimed she don't have required equipments. She said go find any lab yourself and get the tests done and said I've got lot of other things to take care of. You can only imagine living in an developing country. But u guys r fortunate to have all facilities at hand. Pigeon talk is my only help

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I see your problem. That does make it very difficult for you. Well you need a microscope to see roundworm eggs. I would think that maybe what you are seeing are tapeworm segments.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see tapeworm fragments moving a little in fresh droppings. When the droppings dry they stop moving. Tapeworm segments are square-ish in shape that I see. These tiny white eggs that I see don't move they are just stuck in the poop. They are soft when freshly defecated in droppings and as droppings dry they also become dry and solid just like an egg

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you see them if you post a picture?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
perhaps they are purging the worms and eggs because of your deworming, if not then get something that covers tape worms as well.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Really, that's all you can do. If the drug isn't meant to cover tapeworm, then it isn't going to do any good. And you shouldn't be worming that often. It's bad for the birds.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I thought the frequent deworming was allot..but saw that he lives in india so different locals call for different measures.. there it may be a constant problem.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tapeworms infestation is a huge problem here. Not only mine but I noticed that all local fanciers around here have tapeworm segments in their birds' droppings.
I used pfizers combo dewormer. I dewormed them thrice with 21 days gap after 3 months of deworming them with albendazole cuz I saw tapeworms and those tiny white eggs.
Now I can't see tapeworms but those eggs are there to b found. If u google "roundworm eggs in pigeon droppings" for images then the images that come with those eggs stuck around the droppings are similar to my pigeons droppings. I will get pics soon

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yup, dewormer purged the worms, couldn't see the tapeworm sections anymore. But i do see those tiny eggs once in a while though they r few but i wanna knw what they really r.... I've trying to post the pics but couldn't get it done. Service not available is what i get... Shoot

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
yup, dewormer purged the worms, couldn't see the tapeworm sections anymore. But i do see those tiny eggs once in a while though they r few but i wanna knw what they really r.... I've trying to post the pics but couldn't get it done. Service not available is what i get... Shoot
They must be getting reinfected and still have worms if you see the tiny eggs. You need to figure how they are getting reinfected.

Moxidectin plus would be best for your birds, if you could get it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
usually the dewormer will tell you to repeat after so many days as there may be eggs that develop that were not killed. follow the directions it should have a repeat time table on it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, the dewormer will kill the live worms but not the eggs, so normally you would deworm again in 10 to 12 days to kill the eggs that would have hatched. That should get them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, thats what I was talking about. Wormer killed live worms but didn't kill eggs. And strange but true,i've seen a hen eating those hardened eggs. They dont eat when eggs r fresh and soft but after they get solid. I guess pigeons eat them in disguise of pebbles or sand paticles or something. I was shocked. I clean the coop after deworming but despite of my best efforts worms come back
wormer instructs to deworm after 21 days to attack newly hatched worms... So i did. I get numb sometimes trying to imagine that worms r eating my loving birds from inside. It give me creeps, tnx to fiction movies
Tnx for replying

1 - 20 of 60 Posts