Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Best is to retreat with the wormer, as mentioned and always follow directions, but loft hygene has to be top priority also. Scrape and clean loft daily.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Its said that worm eggs remain viable in the outside envirnoment for nearly 3 weeks,thats why its said to repeat the wormer medicine after 21 days,whereas for treating external parasite like lice,its asked to repeat the wormer medicine after 12 days.since the external parasite's eggs are said to hatch in about 10 days or so :).
Also you cannot see worm eggs with naked Eyes,you can see them only under a microscope.A poop microscopy will confirm,a very easy test to be done,especially if the fanciers buys a microscope and is trained to look for them.The usual whitish stuff,you see in the poop are not eggs,they are usually the Tapeworm segments which can be seen with our naked eye

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Tnx Jay3 for the link,the info raised my hair.
Yes guys, I always abide by the instructions and very much follow the correct dosage.
For external parasites I use a powder called notix or cooper(Hey Boney, hav u tried it). I at times mix ivermectin in bathing water and dip them into it one by one. Well, One experienced fancier told me that you can put a drop of ivomec at back of their necks and under wings near wingpits.
Parasites attack pigeons in a big way. And those ferals(especially juveniles) they come(my neighbor feeds them daily on his roof top) and give flies to my bird inspite of me always chasing 'em away

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry to hear about the worms, Brock.

If you could pm me your address, I can send a bottle of Moxidectrin to you. It's not Plus, it's the other one. I have the original bottle and it's too much for my one bird so I can send you some. Let me know if you'd like that.

Thanks for caring for your pigeons!

PS: And please do not chase the ferals away... they are just as beautiful, only homeless. I hope you can care about them too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Moxidectin won't help with tapeworm unfortunately, and it sounds as though that is the problem. It would be good for other worms though. Moxidectin Plus will kill the tapeworms.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Boney... Is that safe?especially the powder for new coming feathers wanted to knw that can it harm the feathers because noticed some feathers less shiny or is it just me always over observing.
Thnx Miss Sassypants,that is so nice of u. I have bought pfizers combo wormer and thankfully it is working. Tnxxxx soooo muuuuch. I chase the ferals away only when I let my birds out rest of the time they keep eating millet and water. And I have to do it because they give ticks,mites and flies to my birds. One day I noticed blood near the claw. On closer inspection I saw a small tick with white legs full of blood. So I have to do that
Hi there Jay3... Yes this wormer seem to work.
But guys 1 thing I noticed is that these worm eggs come usually in first dropping as they come out of loft and this dropping is bigger than which they later drop

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am afraid that powder could get into their eyes. In summers internals and external parasites attack pigeons,breed on them,rise in numbers and giv trouble to pigeons.
I am plainly asking for something that is safe and effectively controls external parasites cuz external parasites give way to internal ones

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I think meds don't deliver what they promise.
I've used praziquantel,pfizers combo dewormer(after 21 days gap),ivermectin(injectable) and now I'm using this albendazole based dewormer. Round and hair worms are killed But tapeworms are just impossible to nail.
Instructions tell this albendazole dewormer to be used once in 3 months, 10 drops in a litre of water for three consecutive days without holding feed but no success. Then I took the droppings sample to govt vet,she confirms tapeworms again. Another vet told me to give this dewormer by giving two drops in morning and one drop at 2pm in afternoon for 3 days but today after about 15 days of deworming, tapeworm sections are there again.
When I deworm my birds they become hefty in couple of days(2 hens in particular). And after about 2 weeks they go thin again probably because of worms.
I clean the coop after deworming and when birds defecate tapeworm sections ridden ddroppings I throw them away so that they don't get reinfected.
But...
This is dewormer I'm using currently

·
Registered
287 Posts
This was from an earlier thread several months ago from Lavender Hill Lofts. Has anyone ever had success using Diatomaceous Earth

Lavender Hill Lofts
Senior Bird Join Date: Dec 2011

Most effective wormer for pigeons is.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most effective wormer for pigeons is diatomaceous Earth (DE). You cannot over doses with it. DE is safe for even very young birds; it has no side effects and will not cause bone or feather deformities.

You administer it at ½ teaspoon per 16 ounces of feed, or one Campbell soup can. Mix a little safflower or peanut oil on the feed and then the DE. Wait 9 days later and do it again.

You can also sprinkle DE around your loft and it will kill every creepy crawly you may have in your loft. The best part of DE is that it does not expire and never goes bad.

Several of the pigeon supply houses sell it and its cheap.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Wow! Thnx Rod H. I didn't knw about it
Let me go check its availability.
One question pls. Does it take care of all the worms without being harmful?
Tnx

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hate to tell you this but the wormer you are currently using is toxic to pigeons and doves.
Several members here have lost birds because they wormed with it. I nearly lost one too when my vet gave me a generic version and I didn't recognize the name. Please read the following...

http://www.pigeonnetwork.com/vetdirectory/vetnorway/drnillsreither/anthelminiticdrugs.cfm

The only wormer I know of that treat all worms, including tape, id Moxedectin Plus by Australian Pigeon Company. Siegals Pigeon Supply carries it. Always best to worm individually so you know each bird is getting the right amount of medicine.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thx for the info and link Charis.
Oh Lord...
But a medical practitioner advised this dewormer. Yes I did notice weight loss. I couldn't get the tapeworms done with ivermectin so I was advised to use this dewormer. He told me there are no side effects at all. What a liar!
Sad thing is that Moxidectin+ is not available here. I checked several times but moxidectin+ is unavailable. Droncit+ is available. Is that safe ??
Pls tell me what should be done for tapeworms that is safe for my pigeons...?
Tnx

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Dronicit is safe.
Most vets don't realize albendazole is toxic to pigeons and doves because it works really well on other bird species and most really aren't familiar with pigeons. If suggested treatment for any wormer is more than 1 day at a time...don't use it on a pigeon or dove.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
You're right. That was prescribed by a general vet. No avian vet here :(
Originally posted by Charis
If suggested treatment for any wormer is more than 1 day at a time...don't use it on a pigeon or dove.
Many Thnx for this life saving information.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad you listened.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts