Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor little disabled pigeon I have been caring for has started to molt (southern hemisphere) as well as having lost a few of his tail feathers and other feathers from pulling himself around the cage. He can't weight bare on his legs so lies mostly on his right side, his right leg is pretty much useless apart from a little kicking.

So he's been doing well for aorund 6 months now I've been looking after him - a few days ago noticed the big smell that had happened as he did diarreah. Combined with this, a small wound under his right wing that he lies on, and some blood feathers from where he lost some of his tail (right side again) feathers. I bathed him first with plain water to get rid of the gunk, then the next day after his wounds were weeping still, another bath but with some tea tree oil stuff that fixed my cat's wounds up well (and used once on the pigeon before to good effect).

Since then he has seemed to stop weeping so much, only a small amount in comparison. I have to check his wounds again in a moment when I take him out to see how he is doing and change his bedding.

But it really scared me tonight just now finding this MASSIVE poo after a couple days no real poos visible since having diarreah. I assume he probably wasn't eating much while sick so he probably ate too much last night or yesterday. Today he is very quiet and not moving so much, assuming he's sore and in pain after such a massive bowel movement for such a little guy. 1.5 inch diametre poo.. too too big. It only had a tiny bit of blood near surface one bit, so I assume this is from blood feather.. mostly though was crumbly.

hoping he gets well soon..

at least his weeping has settled down, but if this sort of weird digestive stuff continues will take to animal hospital in day or so.

Had been only feeding shell grit and supermarket 'wild bird' seed for a couple of months while very busy after my mother died and now looking after my grandmother full time. But last night I made up a food mixture (because I feared bad seeds from supermarket mix caused diarreah), all the good stuff according to my pigeon care book, apart from barley (I forgot to buy, doh).

Any ideas??

He's very quiet/still so I hope he's going to be ok :(

p.s. his name is Professor Peacock-Hawkins

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
It would be good if you could post up a few photos of the bird, the wounds you mention and his recent poops. Also, I would not use tea tree oil any longer on him and wash of any that is now there just Google "tea tree oil cats toxic" and do a little reading the same applies to birds.

I probably would not wait a few days, but get him in to be looked at, as most times a bird will try and hide it when they are not feeling well and if you can see he is not feeling well, it usually means he has been ill for a little longer than you may think.

Karyn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It would be good if you could post up a few photos of the bird, the wounds you mention and his recent poops. Also, I would not use tea tree oil any longer on him and wash of any that is now there just Google "tea tree oil cats toxic" and do a little reading the same applies to birds.

I probably would not wait a few days, but get him in to be looked at, as most times a bird will try and hide it when they are not feeling well and if you can see he is not feeling well, it usually means he has been ill for a little longer than you may think.

Karyn
Unfortunately I flushed the big one down the loo, before that they were fine/normal (apart from the diarreah a couple of days ago). I won't have time in the next period to put photos up as I only have my phone and is a long process to get them online, but if he does any more I will take photos of them. Also just of his general appearance at the moment to see any suggestions.

Oh my I didn't know I was going to use a little soap but my partner said she had used it once before on him. But yeah a little worried now after reading about it.

He is very run down, it could be that he puked up this mass, or pooped, but I think rather it would have been a poop. So huge though, his anus looked ok when I had a look, his seeping has stopped under arm, and his tail looked ok as far as wounds, nothing visible. But it has been cold today and was asleep so now have the heater on, it wasn't on all day so he is a bit cold, which is not good. He is so tired, he was falling asleep when I took him out when usually he would be quite active.

I don't want to stress him out now so if still like this tomorrow (or perhaps regardless) will give him one final plain water bath to get rid of any stuff on him. Don't like getting him wet/cold again though.. so I will wait at least until tomorrow, he needs a sleep and no stress at the moment I think. And at least be daytime so easier for him to dry off.

So yes what you say seems right he could well have some toxicity - I pray he makes it through the night. I have to look after my grandmother full time so I won't be able to make it tomorrow to the vet, as she is herself going into respite on Wednesday (today Monday morning 1am now here). I guess I could go tomorrow to the vet instead and pack her stuff Tuesday before going, but still will have regular heaps of stuff to do tomorrow like every day, will have to get out of it and pile up for tuesday.

But will try worst case tomorrow night late if still bad just take him to emergency and wait till 1am or whatever, but if can't do that will make appointment for next morning. So will be around 30 hours away at this stage until can take him for treatment, worst case. I'll try to take him Monday afternoon when I wake up, if he's still here with us and not doing so well. :(

I'd feel terrible if after all this time I poisoned him.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Just do the best you can to get the tea tree oil off, a warm soapy cloth should get most of it, don't worry about a full bath right now. Biggest thing right now is that he be kept warm and well hydrated, they can go a bit without food, but when ill they need to stay well hydrated to hydrate and flush their system, so try guiding his beak into a small cup of very slightly warmed water to help him. If you do have concerns about the amount of fluids he is getting, you will have to get an eyedropper and very slowly, just a few drops at a time, dribble some to the side of his beak, let him tongue it down and repeat, this is tedious and time consuming, as it takes about 20 drops to make 1cc and he will need over a day 30-40cc (this can be done in 5-7cc amounts x 5 or 6 times through the day), so best if you can help him drink on his own. I wouldn't go as far as saying you poisoned him, but it is a concern, so best to stop it and remove what is there. I think a vet visit earlier would be better than later, if possible.

Karyn

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I agree...at this point it's most important to keep his digestive system moving and his pulmonary system in good shape. Hydration and food. Is he eating on his own now ? If not, I would say go to handfeeding thawed peas and corn (or formula if you prefer). You are trying to keep his strength up. And keep him warm and comfy. If it isn't already, definitely make sure everything his body comes in contact with is soft.

Just wanna recap (for the sake of this thread) that, as you reported in your other thread several months ago....Professor PK was diagnosed as having neurological damage as the result of an injury so is unable to use his legs....if that is correct.

My condolences on the passing of your mother.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This story has a melancholic end, it was not tea-tree oil I was completely wrong, it was crab*tree and evelyn product brand which confused me. I will list the ingredients they list on the bottle soon for discussion. I'm still really busy looking after my grandma and repairs at my place, so will do in the next week or so.

So as I said that story has a sad end, but it is an end to suffering. The product on him wouldn't have helped, but regardless he was seeping edema, he was disabled and with me for 6.5 months, he was degenerating for the month prior and then diarreah out of blue and weeping edema. The animal hospital said it was neurological or physical degenerative disorder 6.5 months ago, so I figured it would end in organ failure.

My partner called her friend at the Museum of Brisbane who is ornithologist and spoke about the Professor. Apparently he lived a very long time for such injury, according to them, and will write up a note in a journal about him. So he will live on.. I will tell the full story in the other original thread when I get a chance.

But for this thread I thought I should say thanks for your replies, I'm sorry too late and too fast, but will write up what happened for future study and awareness in similar circumstances.

I'll post photos up there too that I took just before it was too late.

I think I really DID NOT help him with the bad food I gave him before this huge poo. I am sure it was the food I gave him that made him most ill, rather than the bath.

Even if the bath WAS toxic, it was a better thing than to seep edema to death from organ failure.. He passed quickly. Anyway I am sorry I have been so distraut I haven't been able to face this board for days. I am still very confused about it all.. I know I shouldn't have given him the food I did, and am really sorry about doing that. But he was in a bad way for a while before that.

I'm fleshing it out too much, without proper explanation, so I'll stop now until I find the time and composure to write everything in the other thread and include some photos.

Right now I just found a pigeon in the city that is trapped and starving/dehydrated.. going to try and do some stuff to keep it alive a while longer, tomorrow.

I love these creatures of Earth - but I don't know how much more of my heart can break.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts