Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The day before Yesterday, Willow our white homer (pet pijie) started having "projectile" diarrhea.
I haven't changed anything in the food routine. She eats a pigeon mix with whole wheat rice, safflower...etc. I have added ProBios to her water in hopes it would help.

But again this morning, she still has it.

Is there anything I can give her to get the poops back to normal.
Also, the same day she got diarrhea she did lay an egg ...still waiting for the second one hopefully today. Don't know if that is just coincidence. She sits in her nest on her egg most of the day and will puff up but she nomally does this. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Nesting hens usually do giant poops, but not diarrhea.

Make sure she is only getting 2 percent safflower seeds, just a few per day, not too much, as that will give them the runs. Fat containing seeds wil do that.

If you haven't wormed her or treated her for coccidosis, I would try that, and also make sure to put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. ( 1Tbl. per gl)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My nesting hens do have runny poop...stinky too. :eek:
The first time I saw and smelled one of those, I though for sure I had a very sick bird.:confused: Not so!:)

Jenn...if it is stinky...just hold your breath when you clean it up.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nesting hens usually do giant poops, but not diarrhea.

Make sure she is only getting 2 percent safflower seeds, just a few per day, not too much, as that will give them the runs. Fat containing seeds wil do that.

If you haven't wormed her or treated her for coccidosis, I would try that, and also make sure to put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. ( 1Tbl. per gl)

She has layed many eggs in the past year that we have had her... but never has her poops been so runny... I'm talking ...Projectile..:eek:. she was up on her top perch and she pooped but it shot out to the wall and dripped down to the carpet! :eek: NOt a solid piece of anything in it! It's Nothing like her "nesting" stinky poos! idk? I have wormed her. And Once a week I do Braggs ACV in all their waters. I will cut back on the safflower... That could be it...

My nesting hens do have runny poop...stinky too.
The first time I saw and smelled one of those, I though for sure I had a very sick bird.Not so!

Jenn...if it is stinky...just hold your breath when you clean it up.
LOL.... YES... it does smell... but we live down the street from a HUGE cattle farm so I haven't decided whats WORSE!...LOL:p

Is there anything to give her to add bulk back to her poops?:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
She has layed many eggs in the past year that we have had her... but never has her poops been so runny... I'm talking ...Projectile..:eek:. she was up on her top perch and she pooped but it shot out to the wall and dripped down to the carpet! :eek: NOt a solid piece of anything in it! It's Nothing like her "nesting" stinky poos! idk? I have wormed her. And Once a week I do Braggs ACV in all their waters. I will cut back on the safflower... That could be it...
If you cut back on the safflower you may see a noticeable difference, also do the Bragg's a couple of times per week.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give it a go... along with ACV several times throughout the week...;). THANKS! I'll let you know how she is!...:)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If things don't get better or change to normal nesting poops, you could always get a fecal test run just to ease your mind....:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts