Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescue Poppet is doing well, but he has persistent diarrhoea and a few nights ago he started sneezing, had a watery nasal discharge and his breathing was a bit laboured. He responded well to Amoxycilin, and all the symptoms except the diarrhoea have disappeared.

I don't know what's causing the diarrhoea. The resistance to Amoxycilin and Flagyl seems to rule out Paratyphoid and intestinal Canker. He'd been wormed, so it shouldn't be worms.

I've been looking at various threads, and the description (thin broken solids in a pool of liquid) together with his initial inability to fly might indicate he's been recovering from PMV, other symptoms being secondary infections. However he never showed any of the nervous symptoms of PMV. Other possible suspects are Coccidiosis or Mycoplasmosis.

I think I'll have to take him to the vet for testing, especially because of the risk of contagion for Piper, as they have mated. But meanwhile I would welcome any suggestions to alleviate the diarrhoea. Would you recommend probiotics?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Absolutely try the probiotics. He may just be short of good gut bacteria and the gut flora is out of balance, because of stress and/or medication, you might also put some ACV in his water.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
My rescue Poppet is doing well, but he has persistent diarrhoea and a few nights ago he started sneezing, had a watery nasal discharge and his breathing was a bit laboured. He responded well to Amoxycilin, and all the symptoms except the diarrhoea have disappeared.

I don't know what's causing the diarrhoea. The resistance to Amoxycilin and Flagyl seems to rule out Paratyphoid and intestinal Canker. He'd been wormed, so it shouldn't be worms.

I've been looking at various threads, and the description (thin broken solids in a pool of liquid) together with his initial inability to fly might indicate he's been recovering from PMV, other symptoms being secondary infections. However he never showed any of the nervous symptoms of PMV. Other possible suspects are Coccidiosis or Mycoplasmosis.

I think I'll have to take him to the vet for testing, especially because of the risk of contagion for Piper, as they have mated. But meanwhile I would welcome any suggestions to alleviate the diarrhoea. Would you recommend probiotics?
Was he wormed for the different kinds of worms that he could possibly have. Sometimes they have other kinds of worms that the medicine you are using doesn't cover.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely try the probiotics. He may just be short of good gut bacteria and the gut flora is out of balance, because of stress and/or medication, you might also put some ACV in his water.
Thanks, I'll do that. The ACV I've been doing once a week.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was he wormed for the different kinds of worms that he could possibly have. Sometimes they have other kinds of worms that the medicine you are using doesn't cover.
Hard to tell, Jay. I gave him Ripercol, which the vet prescribed. Apparently it's the only thing available to worm pigeons (specifically) here in Portugal. She only sold me 4 tablets (for 2 pigeons) so I don't even know the composition and indications. Tried googling the name but didn't find enough information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts