Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i had two male whit homers but they have recently laid a pair of eggs. they both take turns sitting on them. but i must have a girl? or are they like chickens? lay eggs but they are not always fertile? it is also october, do they lay this late in the year?

thanks, sampson

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like you have mated pair. Have you seen them kissing? Both male and female Pigeons share nest responsibilities. Pigeons lay all year long. Very likely you will have babies if you don't replace the eggs with pretend ones. It's very important to let them complete the incubation cycle.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I thought i had two male whit homers but they have recently laid a pair of eggs. they both take turns sitting on them. but i must have a girl? or are they like chickens? lay eggs but they are not always fertile? it is also october, do they lay this late in the year?

thanks, sampson
You could have a male and female or you could have 2 females. If its 2 females then the eggs are not fertile. But chances are, if their taking turns sitting on them, then its probably a cock and hen :)
Mine lay eggs year round. I switch them with wooden eggs to keep the population down.
Where in NH are you? I just moved back to Maine from Northwood NH

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i started with a pair and the mother of the original two got picked off by a hawk along with one of the kids. i thought the dad and son were left but i guess its the daughter! thanks for the response. it will be nice to have some more birds flying around.!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Msfreebird, i live out near exeter. i have only gone through the squables* once before. but seeing that i only have two i would like mre around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts