Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as of right now i have bunny on basic pigeon/dove mix from petco,i belive its kaytee.id like to know what i cans sart adding to make her diet better,i understand she would do fine on this alone but i feed my dogs holisted natrual food and will not touch purina and iams becuse of the qiulity.id liketomakesure im giving bunny what she needs.im posting asking this becuse im not sure what a indoor pigeon needs compared to the outdoor racing pigeons that i see the diet of on this site.anything i can add?also what vitimens/supplments should i start with?any input would be awsome guys:)

White millet, milo, wheat, canadian field peas, red millet, canary grass seed, popcorn, safflower, oat groats, ground yellow corn, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, wheat middlings, dehulled soybean meal, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, beet pulp, soy oil, salt, fish meal, dl-methionine, brewers dried yeast, l-lysine, choline chloride, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ferrous carbonate, zinc oxide, riboflavin supplement, manganous oxide, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), ethoxyquin (a preservative), niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper oxide, vitamin A supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Here are a list of ingredients that make up a good pigeon diet. To this I add an organic long grain brown rice, and a bit of safflower seeds, 2 percent.

http://purgrain.com/ingredients.htm

You may be able to buy these ingredients separately from Whole Foods or another large organic foods store, but the mix is important to their health.

For indoor birds who may get little to no sunlight in the winter, I would add a drop of organic cod liver oil once a month (for vitamin D3 which is also needed for calcium update). For B vitamins (check the source to see if it is okay for birds-if using one not specific for birds), you can add brewers yeast, just a tiny bit, and follow with good probiotics, you can use a real homemade kefir or good organic human grade (1/4 a human serving) If your birds are getting a good source of calcium in the grit they don't need another source. I do however, give my hens an alfalfa tablet split in two once a month, as it is a great source of calcium and micro minerals.

There is nothing better then fresh air and sunshine for their health, so if it is possible to provide it I highly recommend it.

I also give my birds a capsule of allicidin complex, once a month with a drop of Neem oil. It is great for purifying the blood, great plumage and keeps them rid them of parasites naturally.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have her cage in front of a big newly insulated window,i let the sun in during the day...not direct sunlight.so i should bring her whole cage outside for a bit when it gets warm for her to get a little sun and air?

im gunna try my best to find the things you have listed:) thank you so much

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
i have her cage in front of a big newly insulated window,i let the sun in during the day...not direct sunlight.so i should bring her whole cage outside for a bit when it gets warm for her to get a little sun and air?

im gunna try my best to find the things you have listed:) thank you so much
I think it is wonderful that you want to do the best thing for your bird. bringing the bird outside will give her fresh air and sunshine. While indoor life has its advantages, there is nothing like fresh air and sunshine.

You may not find everything but I'm sure you will do your best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.