Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to throw out this question for fodder and feedback. What do you guys/gals think of squabs that are different in size? For example, a pair of breeders lays a round of eggs and they hatch. However, after a five days or so, one squab is considerably larger than the other. Is this a cause for concern? Is the smaller squab simply just inferior to its nest mate? I know that Ad Schalerackens would not hesitate to remove the "weaker" squab. What do you all think?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
There is times when they hatch a day apart and one grows a bit faster, or you have a Hen and a Cock in the nest. As long as the crop is full and they are healthy, I do not think you have anything to worry about. Around 20 days they will be hard to distinquish. If the size is dramatic the larger may push the smaller out of the nest or keep it from eating. Check the crops. Now if something is wrong you will know it very quickly.

Randy

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'd like to throw out this question for fodder and feedback. What do you guys/gals think of squabs that are different in size? For example, a pair of breeders lays a round of eggs and they hatch. However, after a five days or so, one squab is considerably larger than the other. Is this a cause for concern? Is the smaller squab simply just inferior to its nest mate? What do you all think?
I let the basket make the decision on which bird does not make the grade. I have seen some hens that fly very well that are quite a bit smaller than their brothers in the nest.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'd like to throw out this question for fodder and feedback. What do you guys/gals think of squabs that are different in size? For example, a pair of breeders lays a round of eggs and they hatch. However, after a five days or so, one squab is considerably larger than the other. Is this a cause for concern? Is the smaller squab simply just inferior to its nest mate? I know that Ad Schalerackens would not hesitate to remove the "weaker" squab. What do you all think?
I myself would remove the larger squab and allow the mom and dad to feed the smaller one first until it is full and then return the bigger baby. IF you do this every time it is meal time and the baby doesn't look better after 5 days I would suspect paratyphoid as well.

The youngster is NOT inferior, it may have a serious health issue passed on by the parents, or the baby was hatched a day or two after the first baby.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
also, If the hen sits the first egg, then of course that one is going to be bigger than the second, If the smaller baby does not catch up, something is wrong and you will want to hand feed it, or try what trees said.. sometimes you can take up the first egg, replace it with a dummy, then return it when the second is layed so both will hatch at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.