Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41_JBbkRXQ8&feature=related

Look at the things the pigeons are nesting in. These seem really good compared to some other bizarre things i've seen people doing lol! Just wanted everyone to check it out. In India, they call those pots "gamlay". I can tell this is from India, one, because of those gamlay, two, if you check the feet of the pigeons, they are not banded, but some of them have these golden things on them. They are called "chanjara". They are really NEAT :D . Everytime the pigeons walk, they jingle, like jingle bells. Plus they are very light. My uncle that lives in India, actually put real gold chanjara on some of his best pigeons. I found that really interesting lol. But yeah the main thing i wanted to know, are those pots even good for breeding? I'm not interested, just for reference :) Thank you :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Wow those are some pretty fantails in that video, and I spy some Lahores too :)
Those pots look neat and the birds look happy and cozy in them. There are two things I see wrong. First off, I noticed the pots moved a bit when the birds jumped from one to another. I'd probably do something to keep them stuck in place a bit more. You don't want anything disturbing the parents if you can help it.
Second thing, ventilation in the nest. Something like that would probably make it easier to end up with wet nests.
Otherwise, looks pretty cool :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i just noticed the pots moving. If you nailed a piece of plywood over the pots, the pigeons wouldn't be able to sit on them, and they would sit on the plywood. But the ventilation would be a problem! Lol. Looks pretty neat though.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wonder how you going to clean that once the babies are starting to poops with the parents...I know it's possible to clean it but, the odor that stays in the pot will be always there unless you take that particular pot and switch it with another one...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think those pots are so cool!....you could always put kitty litter in the bottom to keep it dry and then when done scrub it out with some bleach water and use it again.....neat, thanks for the link.:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
i think they look cool, but like pegasus said, the odor would be very strong. If you wash it everyday it would disturb the birds too much moving them.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the odor is the only down side for this. Obviously you could just throw them away after the babies are big (these things cost like...idk 100 rupees? I'm not really sure, thats like $2 american. I just thought this was really cool :)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Regarding the pots wobbling, it looks like the pieces of brick at the neck of the pots are intended to stablize them.

Regarding moisture, clay generally absorbs some moisture and there seem to be several small holes poked in the top of the pots. However, I agree that, if they are fairly inexpensive, I'd replace after each batch of babies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts