Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My indoor pigeon Primus recently developed bumblefoot / ulcerative pododermatitis and I have to get him twice a day for meds. The problem is that he has flying ability, so it is pretty difficult to get him for meds. I have to chase him all over the room until he finally makes a mistake by flying into a corner or into the adjacent room. It's been causing him to breath very heavy. Also after I do his meds he seems to hang out on the ground more for a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone might have any advice about how to better get him for meds. It wouldn't be that easy to keep him in a confined room away from his family - and if I try to put him in a cage I think he'll be pretty stressed in there too and might hurt his feet on the bars (one of my other pigeons hurt his feet on the sides of a plastic kennel when I confined him - although the plastic kennels have rougher openings and are smaller than the large wire dog kennel in which I could confine Primus. But I still don't know how it would go).

Also Primus seems pretty good at shaking his head after I put the meds in and getting some of it out. I've been trying to give him more to make up for what he shakes out, but of course it's difficult to tell how successfully I'm dosing him. Any advice on how to better make sure he swallows all of his meds would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Howard

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Wait till it gets dark and then catch him to give him the meds. You can always put him in a cage then to spend the night and the next morning when you take him out, you can medicate him again.

Is the meds in liquid form? If so, rather take a small piece of bread, soak up the meds with the bread and then feed to him. Put the bread deep inside his beak for him to swallow.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Sorry to hear Primus is having foot problems. I dont know how long you have to medicate him but i would consider caging him in a large cage until you finish his meds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Wait till it gets dark and then catch him to give him the meds. You can always put him in a cage then to spend the night and the next morning when you take him out, you can medicate him again.

Is the meds in liquid form? If so, rather take a small piece of bread, soak up the meds with the bread and then feed to him. Put the bread deep inside his beak for him to swallow.

Exactly what I was going to say. Very good advice! This is the only way you will treat him without chasing him around and scaring him. Staying in a cage over night won't upset him all that much, and the treatment is more important.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much! I tried the bread idea and it seemed to work quite well. Just to confirm - there are no worries about the bread expanding in his crop and giving him problems, is there?

In terms of caging and catching - I have been waiting until night to give him his meds at night, but it's still pretty stressful catching him at night. I guess I could try turning off the lights in his room at night, then wait an hour or so, and then go after him - but I don't know how much easier it will be to catch him.

I guess that the benefit of caging him overnight would still be that I would only have to catch him once per day (at night) instead of twice (morning and night)?

Thanks again,
Howard

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Howard, catching him at night, or as soon as it gets dark out is so simple. You just make note of where the bird is perched, turn the light out, and walk over and pick him up. You don't wait for an hour. Pigeons don't generally see well in the dark, so they normally won't fly off from where they are perched. You should just be able to walk over to him and grab him. On occasion, a wild personality one will try to fly anyway, but that is seldom. If that were to happen, just put the light back on so he can see, and when he calms down, try again. That doesn't usually happen though. If you need to use a flashlight, then do that. Once you catch him you can turn the light back on to medicate and cage him. Let us know how it goes.

You don't need to worry about the bread expanding in his crop, as when he drinks, it will just fall apart. You aren't giving him that much anyway. Wild pigeons eat bread all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts