Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Am new to this, but something has been bugging me since yesterday... We have a pigeon nest on our balconly. The nest had 2 eggs and it finally hatched 2 days ago.

Yesterday I peeked through the door and did not see the mother/father by the nest so I had a look and the chicks are gone! What could possibly have happened to them?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Most likely a predator got them. How sad.

Reti

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible, but quite unlikely... the nest was well hidden and in quite a small space behind some storage items on our balcony. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Possible, but quite unlikely... the nest was well hidden and in quite a small space behind some storage items on our balcony. Any other suggestions?
At two days old, SOMETHING got them. You will probaby never know what, but a 2 day old baby isn't going anywhere on it's own.

·
Registered
499 Posts
my guess was feline,or neighbor,you would be suprised how some people illrevere birds,..parents may be back,..sincerely james waller

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
At 2 days old those babies really can't go out by themselves. Something got them. That would be bad news.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My guess is a rat!! the biggest killer of newborn pigeons that ive seen. I hate rats.
The adults will make a nest in a safer place next time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nest was on a fith floor balcony, in between some storage items, not close to neigbours, cats etc. It is just so sad! I thought that it was a very safe place as it would take a lot of effort for anything to come even close to them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
long shot,,,but do you have gulls nearby?gulls can be a possibility and are not shy about rooting round,even on a balcony,im sorry for your loss ,its always sad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do have gulls nearby. We live right next the the Thames. Never seen any around our flat though, but I guess that is the most likely possibility.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i have lot of gulls as i live near firth of forth,they can be aggressive and protective this time of year,i worried for my flock,but a family of crows moved in and gulls have not nested on roof this year,crows chased them off!it could well be gull,i have seen them snatch food from wee kiddys hands while on our local links(parkland)they are not shy at all and would maybe be culprit who took sqabs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts