Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the call at work that my breeder loft door was open!!!!!!:eek: I am missing 5 hens, To top it off they are all prisoner birds!!!!!And here is the peaker, they were on loan from a club member!!!!!!:eek: I let him know what happened, he was not to upset. taking tomorrow off to see if any show up, I had 2 of them on the roof but they left the area, with any luck at all they will show up in the am, god willing they will come back.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
What type of pigeons are these ? Were they flown by the person from whom you took them ? Because if these are homer pigeons and if they had been flown and homed by that person, there is a good chance that they will fly back to him. If they are not pigeons with homing instinct, they may be parking around the vicinity and some food and water can attract them

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of pigeons are these ? Were they flown by the person from whom you took them ? Because if these are homer pigeons and if they had been flown and homed by that person, there is a good chance that they will fly back to him. If they are not pigeons with homing instinct, they may be parking around the vicinity and some food and water can attract them
They are racing homers from all over the place, not raised at his loft.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just finished installing springs on all my loft doors as advised by another club member, just in case the doors are not latched at least they will be closed, wish I would have thought of that before, anyone who has doors I advise the springs, you dont want to screw up like I did.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Man that sucks bro! Sorry to hear the bad news. I thnk those birds are long gone. Your best bet is to have your buddy contact the people he got them from and ask them to keep an eye out for the birds. If they are good homers there's a good chance they'll show up there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just finished installing springs on all my loft doors as advised by another club member, just in case the doors are not latched at least they will be closed, wish I would have thought of that before, anyone who has doors I advise the springs, you dont want to screw up like I did.
THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
So I got the call at work that my breeder loft door was open!!!!!!:eek: I am missing 5 hens, To top it off they are all prisoner birds!!!!!And here is the peaker, they were on loan from a club member!!!!!!:eek: I let him know what happened, he was not to upset. taking tomorrow off to see if any show up, I had 2 of them on the roof but they left the area, with any luck at all they will show up in the am, god willing they will come back.

I'm so sorry to hear this. It is good that you let the club member know right away, and we appreciate you sharing with us.

....and God willing and with prayer...they will come back.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well, it has been a day. It is my hope and prayer that they came back.

Any news?
Tony

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stayed home from work today, saw one fly by this morning, sent up some late hatches, no luck, never saw it again. the wind kicked around noon time, no other sightings so far, I will fly my late hatches in the am, hopefully they will pick them up some where. The guy who loaned me the birds showed up today with some foundation birds for me, 6 birds fully pedigreed.strains are, sure bet president, janssen brothers, van lint-van-reil, universe-witoger, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! This man is a god sent, he has helped more than I can believe, Hopefully I can avoid any future diasters with these birds, he helped me escape proof my breeder loft today. I am going to help him Add on to his loft this weekend and build some feeders, I asked how I can ever re-pay him for all his generosity, he simply said "win"

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I stayed home from work today, saw one fly by this morning, sent up some late hatches, no luck, never saw it again. the wind kicked around noon time, no other sightings so far, I will fly my late hatches in the am, hopefully they will pick them up some where. The guy who loaned me the birds showed up today with some foundation birds for me, 6 birds fully pedigreed.strains are, sure bet president, janssen brothers, van lint-van-reil, universe-witoger, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! This man is a god sent, he has helped more than I can believe, Hopefully I can avoid any future diasters with these birds, he helped me escape proof my breeder loft today. I am going to help him Add on to his loft this weekend and build some feeders, I asked how I can ever re-pay him for all his generosity, he simply said "win"
man o man there are good people out there!!! This sport seems to have the "good 'ol boys" always wanting to take a newby under their wing!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish my scanner was working so I could post the peds, there are some unbelieveable strains in the background, BELG and NL banded birds, golden mattens, golden wittens, ganus, I cant wait to get some youngsters out of these ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Double latched, spring, Deadbolt lock, and a master #5 with hasp for added security, also added a secondary inner door just in case of an escape, not taking any chances this time!!!! a total of three doors to go thru.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I broke down and got some water heaters this winter, but daily feeding is a going to be a pain in the ass, oh well after what happened the added security makes me feel better.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, got a late start breeding, but I will have just under 40 on the team.I will start settling them in 2 weeks.Been working on trap training the first round, I want to settle them all together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts