Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a Disastrous weekend for me ................

My Miniature Schnauzer female got into my loft and out of 40 pigeons to those from she had to kill my best hen. The hen was sitting on a baby (that luckily escaped the ordeal) She then tore into my babies on the floor and the rest is history. I never leave my lofts door open – I’m busy homing some of my birds. One of my red cocks came back over the weekend after 2 weeks missing inaction. He did not want o go thru the trap and I open the door for him. Some friend come over and i went into the house for 5 minutes and my wife said to me the dog is barking outside. As I went down to the loft I knew she was in my loft and I was already calculating the damage in my mind. Yip, she took out my hen, luckily her babies was ok and the cock bird will have to feed the baby by himself.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your mistake not the Dogs, Why punish the dog by taking its home away from it and making it start over somewhere else.

I know your mad but it is a dog, It is in some of their nature to do this,
Live and Learn

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why not train your dog to coexist with the birds its not too hard if you put your mind to it :)

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
You pigeon flyers better take your dogs in the loft and teach them not to mess with the birds. I had a cat that would go in the loft with me---it or the birds never had a bad day.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Dogs will do things I remember a flyer years ago early 1980s. His Wife got mad at him And put his 2 bird dogs in his loft. He was going to divorce over that Then she came around And even got active with the birds. Guess she did not want a divorce. But since your dog now has a taste for the birds it would be a little work teaching it not to go after them. Better to keep the old loft secure.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Why are you blaming the dog for your own irresponsibility? You left the door open, the dog had not been properly trained by you to not go near the birds.

Hope you have learned a valuable lesson from this, but don't take your anger out on the dog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
She is too old to learn. I have tried but she is going wild near the pigeons. She have pups now (9 weeks old) and I took the pup that i want to keep into the loft yesterday. the pigeons were scared asssssssss because of their encounter with the mum. It will take time to earn the trust of the pigeons again and not even talking about their trust in the loft.

I know it is nature for dogs to hunt. unfortunately we received the dog when she was 2 years old

My wife is a dog trainer and she said that the dog already tasted pigeon blood and to train her now will be almost impossible

********* I also need to say that the dog has a enclosure where she lives with the pups and she got out when we were showing the pups to our friends

·
Registered
862 Posts
Leaving the door open without supervision was an oversight on your part not the dogs. However the dog now has the taste for them and IMO will never be able to coexist. I had a dog back when and he got the taste for the chickens one time and after that even though he was chained he would wait quietly and calmly until a chicken strolled too close and he would pounce on it.
Kurps

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I'm really sorry about your bird. But that is a dogs nature, so not the dogs fault. Just a wake up call to make sure she never gets in there again. It's not that hard to keep them separate. It could just as well have been a hawk that had gotten in with the door left open.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm really sorry about your bird. But that is a dogs nature, so not the dogs fault. Just a wake up call to make sure she never gets in there again. It's not that hard to keep them separate. It could just as well have been a hawk that had gotten in with the door left open.
That is a good point about the hawk,I didn't even think of that. And I failed to say that I am sorry for your lose,good luck with her youngsters.
Kurps

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
She is too old to learn. I have tried but she is going wild near the pigeons. She have pups now (9 weeks old) and I took the pup that i want to keep into the loft yesterday. the pigeons were scared asssssssss because of their encounter with the mum. It will take time to earn the trust of the pigeons again and not even talking about their trust in the loft.

I know it is nature for dogs to hunt. unfortunately we received the dog when she was 2 years old

My wife is a dog trainer and she said that the dog already tasted pigeon blood and to train her now will be almost impossible

********* I also need to say that the dog has a enclosure where she lives with the pups and she got out when we were showing the pups to our friends
If it was me..I would train the puppy your going to keep to ignore the birds and give the dog away that kills your birds. If a rancher had a dog that killed his livestock... you can bet that dog would'nt be on the ranch. I don't see why this is any different. I trained my pitbulls not to attack my cat with a water gun...as soon as they stared at the cat I broke thier concentration with a water blast it took time but it worked. Puppies are easy to correct old dogs get set in thier ways and you don't want the momma teaching the puppies that killing your pigeons is a sport.

·
Registered
176 Posts
BlackWing, I wouldnt get rid of the dog than if she has her own enclosure. Really though its up for you to decide. Im sorry for your loss though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is just no such thing as a dog being too old to Train.

My wife is a dog Trainer and you need a trainer with Patience and experience.

I cant believe all this get rid of the dog crap. Look it is just this simple, You made a mistake, OK ,Sorry about your Birds, But just adapt and overcome from here. You can do it.

And to others, If you can not handle dealing with problems like this, Then you are not fit to care for animals of any kind Period.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

I cant believe all this get rid of the dog crap. Look it is just this simple, You made a mistake, OK ,Sorry about your Birds, But just adapt and overcome from here. You can do it.

And to others, If you can not handle dealing with problems like this, Then you are not fit to care for animals of any kind Period.
I'm sorry for the loss of your birds :(
And I have to agree with this post. I use to breed and have had Chow Chow's my whole life. They are very aloof, independent and one of the hardest breeds to train - but it CAN be done.
I wouldn't get rid of the dog - but I would "pounce" right on her for that "stalking behavior" that she is exhibiting, - staring and going crazy when she see's the birds is a big No No :eek: That's where I would start!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

I like your stance on this its very noble three cheers for you. But if you keep a rotten apple its going to ruin the whole litter. He already said his wife is a dog trainer and this dog is set in her ways. The mother is going to teach her puppies how to "hunt". There not my birds being killed...but if she is otherwise a good dog accept for this bad habit I'm sure a family member or friend will take her. I grew up with daschounds they where bred to be fearless and to pull foxes and badgers out of thier foxholes by the nose. Also your a too judgemental making a statement like being unfit to care for animals period? Get over yourself. Do you think animal control is going to "re-train" a dog that bites a person? And if not why? Because they know once a dog has acted on a impulse it is more likely to repeat it again.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Predator and prey. My dogs and birds walk right past each other without looking twice but my daughter's dog, a rat terrier, has too much prey drive. Don't think she can ever be trusted around the birds. I think a mini schnauzer may have similar instincts.
My collie however thinks she's their mama!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Leaving the door open without supervision was an oversight on your part not the dogs. However the dog now has the taste for them and IMO will never be able to coexist. I had a dog back when and he got the taste for the chickens one time and after that even though he was chained he would wait quietly and calmly until a chicken strolled too close and he would pounce on it.
Kurps
Dear Kalkbl,
IMO means "in my opinion" and "coexist" as stated by the Webster's College Dictionary means to exist peacefully together. I did not once advise to get rid of the dog,I simply stated a fact about a dog that I had. If you read my quote my dog was kept and on a chain, that was outside to clearify.

#13 Today, 06:05 AM
Kalkbl
Pigeon Join Date: May 2010

In your quote your stating that anyone who decides to let the dog go isn't fit to care for any animal. Now IMO you are talking without thinking, as what about the person who can't afford a trainer or a person who doesn't have the room for the dog and the birds in the yard WITHOUT supervision,are they less than fit,no IMO a problem arose for them and they made a decision. IMO that is better than not making a decision at all.They made the best decision in thier eyes for thier pet,that makes them fit in my eyes.
Kurps

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
IMO pets are not disposable. They are a responsibility once you decide to take one in. And "coexist" means you don't eat other family members!:eek:
I don't mean you have to train the dog enough to "house" it in with the birds. But if you don't squash that "prey" instinct and "stalking", she will move on to bigger and better things! -and she won't make a good pet for anyone else either. Any good dog trainer will tell you that :rolleyes:
Spirit Wings has the solution that I'm trying to make -- She has her dog "under control" but doesn't give it the opportunity to think for itself.
I don't let my dogs come into contact with my birds - BUT ALSO, they are NOT allowed to watch or stare at the birds either. When I say "LEAVE IT", they turn and walk away- that goes for my birds, cats, other people's pets, my roast beef sandwich sitting on the coffee table and kids!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry to hear about your birds. I understand it is a dogs instict to do something like that. I am about to start building my first loft and I know when I get my first pigeons my Beagle will want to get in the loft. She will not be aloud out in the back yard without a leash though.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
What a Disastrous weekend for me ................

My Miniature Schnauzer female got into my loft and out of 40 pigeons to those from she had to kill my best hen. The hen was sitting on a baby (that luckily escaped the ordeal) She then tore into my babies on the floor and the rest is history. I never leave my lofts door open – I’m busy homing some of my birds. One of my red cocks came back over the weekend after 2 weeks missing inaction. He did not want o go thru the trap and I open the door for him. Some friend come over and i went into the house for 5 minutes and my wife said to me the dog is barking outside. As I went down to the loft I knew she was in my loft and I was already calculating the damage in my mind. Yip, she took out my hen, luckily her babies was ok and the cock bird will have to feed the baby by himself.
Sorry to hear of this disaster. If you wire one of the dead pigeons real good to your dog's collar, and then let it stay on it's collar untill it rots off, the dog will avoid pigeons going forward. It is a little gross, but I heard it will work.

At my house, the dog would already be sitting at the SPCA awaiting it's fate.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts