Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been nursing an injured pigeon the past several days. I've kept him away from my dog (and vice versa) as much as possible, i.e haven't let my dog get to his food, water or cage. Despite my precautions my dog managed to eat a small amount of poop. The bird has a bacterial infection for which i'm getting meds today. Could the bacteria have been transmitted to my dog? If so, will it work itself thru his system and am i looking at a vet trip? also, any other things that a bird can transmit to a dog or cat?
thanks

· Guardian Angel
6,901 Posts
I have been nursing an injured pigeon the past several days. I've kept him away from my dog (and vice versa) as much as possible, i.e haven't let my dog get to his food, water or cage. Despite my precautions my dog managed to eat a small amount of poop. The bird has a bacterial infection for which i'm getting meds today. Could the bacteria have been transmitted to my dog? If so, will it work itself thru his system and am i looking at a vet trip? also, any other things that a bird can transmit to a dog or cat?
thanks
My understanding is that the diseases that a pigeon gets by and large are not the same as those that dogs, cats, humans get. Yes, sometimes viruses jump the 'ring pass not', but mostly, your dog should be ok. You might want
to do a fecal float for parasites on the dog for worms and coccidia, but
you shouldn't need to do a whole office visit for that. You could probably
use Foy's for that, just call first and make sure.

fp

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that the diseases that a pigeon gets by and large are not the same as those that dogs, cats, humans get. Yes, sometimes viruses jump the 'ring pass not', but mostly, your dog should be ok. You might want
to do a fecal float for parasites on the dog for worms and coccidia, but
you shouldn't need to do a whole office visit for that. You could probably
use Foy's for that, just call first and make sure.

fp
Thanks. But what's Foys?

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Just observe for now. My guess is that probably the dog won't have problems. I've seen dogs eating poops! Hopefully your dog is not one of those hunting dogs that can try to eat pigeons.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just observe for now. My guess is that probably the dog won't have problems. I've seen dogs eating poops! Hopefully your dog is not one of those hunting dogs that can try to eat pigeons.
no problems observed so far, and he has all vaccinations. my dog is a chihuahua but he THINKS he's a hunting dog. initally he went after the pigeon (he loves to chase them outside) but now he's just really curious and loves to sniff him and try to eat his bird seed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.