Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm hoping I may be able to get some advice.. But first a little background i guess. About 3 weeks ago I rescued a racing homer from a warehouse I rent an art studio in. We had seen him for almost a week before I started trying to catch him.. At the beginning he'd fly up into the rafters but looked quite miserable. On the third day of trying, he was on the floor and had some difficulty walking, so I was able to get a net over him with very little trouble.
Once I had him home I called the society he was registered with and they promised to get the owner to call me, but I've heard nothing. I noticed a wound on his side under his right wing, scabbed over so I left it alone, only trimming the feathers around it to keep an eye on it. The wound has now completely healed, scab fallen off, skin looks great, but. The joint feels very loose, and he is very lame. Doesn't put weight on it, very little grip in his foot. He is starting to get very distressed if I try to handle him now. Is there a safe way to splint it? What should I do? I hate seeing him pain because he is a lovely bird. I'm plan on keeping him, but have limited resources as far as vets etc. Dont even know if there's an avian vet in the area.
This has been very long winded, sorry :).. Any advice would be wonderful.
Oh, he is eating like a machine, no problems there :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that's about right.. I'll try to explain a bit better :) when I manipulate his leg, holding on to the tibiotarsus the joint above moves very freely at his side. Directly above this movement is where the wound was. He will sometimes put weight on it but more often not. I've set up the donut but he's up out of it preening himself at the moment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
images

It took some doing but I have some photos! Poor guy didn't like having his wing held up. It seemed a little stiff. I went a bit nuts with the photos, because in the pics where I held his wing up the leg looked far more crooked than what it does when he's simply standing, so I got some front shots too.

So here is a side view of him at rest, favouring the leg as you can see.

Front on.

and side on with wing held up. That little bald spot directly under his wing was where the wound was. The skin has completely healed.

He has put on LOTS of weight since I first found him. Little porker :)

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Hmm... does he use it in the least? For the record, 3 weeks is "a long time ago" in terms of broken bones in birds. That is to say that there's probably no use in splinting anything at this point. I'd tend to just give him time and see how he gets on.

Pidgey

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He does use the leg a little bit. He scratches himself with it, and does put a little weight on it from time to time, and he can hold it right up into his feathers when he is sleeping. I'll just continue to keep him quiet and as you said, see how he goes.
In all other aspects he's now a happy and healthy bird.. I hope the improvement will continue. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for all the advice :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just thought I might update.. Edgar is doing well I think... He is gripping with his foot and putting weight on his leg, although he still has a bit of a limp. He gets out on the floor and exercises his wings, doing a silly pedaling action with both legs. Not completely healed but much better, and improving every day now. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts