Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have ten flights picked them up like a week ago. If in a few weeks take them to a field by my house and release them to see them fly will they return to the coop?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Re-settling to a new coop is a relative term, varies from pigeon to pigeon.
Since the birds are new and not paired they might not have a reason to come back to your coop.
The birds must feel at home at your coop first before you can let them out. You need to cage them on trap door or over the roof of your coop and then call them in to feed call by restricting their movement into trap door by opening the cage door towards the trap, for many days if you don't wanna take any chances. This way they will get accustomed to new home and the way to enter it. Homers can be taken away from home to be released from farther distances not flight especially when they're new. They need to fly around your coop first to get to know their home.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hello. I wish i knew more about flight, but they may be too easy to settle: making them easily attracted to a new loft which may be between the field and your house. There must be a word for pigeons that are easily settled and for birds that are impossible to resettle.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Flights are easily settled but they will not "home". There is a difference. Many fancy breeds for example will actually easy settle and if let out (and not eaten by a hawk or other predator) would easily go back into their loft. Most pigeons love their home. Flights likewise will fly and return. However, flights will not "home". Take them even a short distance away and they will be lost. it is not that they don't want to come home necessarily, but they don't have the ABILITY to come home from a distance. If you want a homing pigeon you should get homing pigeons.....in that case you will need to start with young birds so they imprint on YOUR loft.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
And what about those eggs in loft, has anyone liked to sit on that? And what is th progress in new loft making?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello kiddy,
Well sad to say i lost both eggs they fell through the bottom netting and cracked. So now I am in the process of figuring out what kind of loft I am going to build bc the one i have now is too small and i dont have and nest boxes so i dont think they can breed.

Now I am thinking about trying to add some homers bc i orginally got the pigeons to train my lab how to bird hunt (wasnt going to kill the birds or anything) i just wanted the dog to learn how to flush them. Now since i am attached to the birds i dont want them to get lost i want them to come back. So hommers i think are the way to go...

Anyone have any suggestions for a loft?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hello kiddy,
Well sad to say i lost both eggs they fell through the bottom netting and cracked. So now I am in the process of figuring out what kind of loft I am going to build bc the one i have now is too small and i dont have and nest boxes so i dont think they can breed.

Now I am thinking about trying to add some homers bc i orginally got the pigeons to train my lab how to bird hunt (wasnt going to kill the birds or anything) i just wanted the dog to learn how to flush them. Now since i am attached to the birds i dont want them to get lost i want them to come back. So hommers i think are the way to go...

Anyone have any suggestions for a loft?
I dont think they can't breed in that small loft too and you may loose few more eggs. Atleast provide them with nest bowl and material so they can use it if need.

Anyone can get attached to birds they are so sweet creatures but hunting is a cruel idea if they unfortunately get hurt then? I have read in same forum tht people use it to train their dogs, reptiles, snakes, i just got very hurt reading that cuz i just love the birds and many like me do.so pls forget that idea, birds are really innocent, they dont harm anyone , they can just peck a little or wing slap but that can't defend themselves so no cruel thoughts or words for these innocents pls. I can't see their innocent faces turned to scared seeing their predators and that too for human fun or training.is it really that important for dogs than the birds' lives. So pls think.

And for your homers, if you buy them adult they wont rehome that means they wont stay with you no matter how long you keep them locked, whenever free they will return their previous/original home where they were raised, this is the quality i just love in them, so always try them a month old or you can get some adult homers too and breed and their young ones will stay with you but not the adults until and unless you cage them life long, so be careful in buying them.

I dont have any ideas on loft, i keep my pigeons in house, so someone else will tell best.also search pt , I think I have seen a thread on pt on loft ideas,.just google for loft ideas and you will find all including PT threads.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well if not killing or hurting the birds, or scaring them to death, then how do you make they stay where you want them for the dogs to flush them?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sorry kiddy didnt mean to freak you out not using the birds for any type of training. I am enjoying them too much as pets

Thanks a lot.that's really nice of you :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts