Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all pigeons are terratorial regardless of sex, but I know people sometimes keep lofts of just hens or just cocks. Will the hens fight each other?

I have a large rescue pigeon (mix breed) who from the round head and puffing and terretorial displaying everytime I put him back in the cot that there was a good 80% chance it was male.

He started doing the lonely voclization in the evenings calling for a mate, so I was even more confident it was a male.

I bought a female as a companion for him. Kept them separated but where they could see each other. Well, I was expecting a lot more interest from him! He was at first freaked out.....then claiming his space, ok fine np there. But showed no real interest in the other pigeon other than to make sure he has a claim to his spot!
When I got a female for my ringneck he went utterly berserk trying to get to her side of the cage!

I put up a divider in his cage, and put the female in the other half. Slowly I've been opening the divider more so that they can poke their heads through and now they can walk through but they still have a separated compartment at the back (don't know if that made sense or I just confused you!)

Well the new one was also a little terretorial. When one tries to cross over out of curiosity, the other is pretty quick to chase them away.

So, do you think I have 2 females? I have been trying to film them but they are camera shy at the moment!

And do you think they'll settle down and be 'friends' or will there always be a lot of terretorial bickering.

I used to have 3 pigeons in this same cot years go, but I got them all at the same time as fledglings. They didn't really bicker, even when 2 of them paired up.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
How long have you had the new one?? It would be nice to have one of the opposite gender........but if together, even two hens (and sometimes two males) will often end up pairing up. Like people they can be very individual with thier likes, but the urge to have a mate is also very very strong so most will end up pairing with time. Keep an eye on them and see what happens.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi, I didn't understand this "can poke their heads through and now they can walk through but they still have a separated compartment at the back (don't know if that made sense or I just confused you!)"
Anyway, first and foremost pigeons will take time to recognize each other, so even if they are an opposite sex, they will fight esp if you just separated them from their mates, so I can't say for sure as you describe your first pigeon seems to be a male, but you didn't describe alot females when lone will hum and call for a mate but there is a difference between the female's voice and the male's.females will rarely coo but they will if alone, I emphasize!. So give them time so the new one settle down give them up to a month then if they still show no interest introduce them to other pigeons preferably a proved male/female!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I know all pigeons are terratorial regardless of sex, but I know people sometimes keep lofts of just hens or just cocks. Will the hens fight each other?

I have a large rescue pigeon (mix breed) who from the round head and puffing and terretorial displaying everytime I put him back in the cot that there was a good 80% chance it was male.

He started doing the lonely voclization in the evenings calling for a mate, so I was even more confident it was a male.

I bought a female as a companion for him. Kept them separated but where they could see each other. Well, I was expecting a lot more interest from him! He was at first freaked out.....then claiming his space, ok fine np there. But showed no real interest in the other pigeon other than to make sure he has a claim to his spot!
When I got a female for my ringneck he went utterly berserk trying to get to her side of the cage!

I put up a divider in his cage, and put the female in the other half. Slowly I've been opening the divider more so that they can poke their heads through and now they can walk through but they still have a separated compartment at the back (don't know if that made sense or I just confused you!)

Well the new one was also a little terretorial. When one tries to cross over out of curiosity, the other is pretty quick to chase them away.

So, do you think I have 2 females? I have been trying to film them but they are camera shy at the moment!

And do you think they'll settle down and be 'friends' or will there always be a lot of terretorial bickering.

I used to have 3 pigeons in this same cot years go, but I got them all at the same time as fledglings. They didn't really bicker, even when 2 of them paired up.

I think you need to give it time, by seperation where they can see each other is the right way to do it, just don't be in a hurry. it can takes months.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I didn't understand this "can poke their heads through and now they can walk through but they still have a separated compartment at the back (don't know if that made sense or I just confused you!)"
Anyway, first and foremost pigeons will take time to recognize each other, so even if they are an opposite sex, they will fight esp if you just separated them from their mates, so I can't say for sure as you describe your first pigeon seems to be a male, but you didn't describe alot females when lone will hum and call for a mate but there is a difference between the female's voice and the male's.females will rarely coo but they will if alone, I emphasize!. So give them time so the new one settle down give them up to a month then if they still show no interest introduce them to other pigeons preferably a proved male/female!
The cot can be divided into 4 compartments with plywood. I usually don;t have any of the dividers up, so Georgie (my first pigeon) had more space. When I got the new pigeon I put in 2 of the dividers so that the cot was split in half down the middle. Georgie on one side, the new one on the other side.

But I left a small gap between the dividers so that they could see each other (since the dividers are solid wood).
By the evening I widened the gap so that they could poke their heads through and investigate the other side of the cot.

Now I have it so that, though the dividers are still in place (giving them privacy and each a territory of their own) the gap is large enough that they can walk to the other side.

They pretty much stick to their own sides, though there have been a few squabbles.

That's good to hear that they might still bond. I'll give them more time then and see how it goes.

Thank you

ps
Georgie, a few months ago, had called down a lost racer, and seemed really interested in it. Calling and looking for it. Could it be that Georgie bonded with this stray pigeon and that is why he/she is not so keen on the new one? They never had any physical contact. I had eventually caught it and took it down to one of the clubs, and it has been a good month since.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ps
Georgie, a few months ago, had called down a lost racer, and seemed really interested in it. Calling and looking for it. Could it be that Georgie bonded with this stray pigeon and that is why he/she is not so keen on the new one? They never had any physical contact. I had eventually caught it and took it down to one of the clubs, and it has been a good month since.
there is a no chance for something like that, pigeons pair up with other mates after only 1 week or so from separating them so few months and no physical contact? I don't think so , I think your little guy is just having a hard time recognizing the new pigeon just give them a stress free place in two separated cages don't change the rules quickly ... let them act on their temper :) they will do better esp if the new one is a female!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts