Hi everyone, I'm new here, but have been reading here since recently rescuing a baby dove from the mouth of my neighbor's cat about 3-4 weeks ago. When I rescued her, I took her straight to the local bird vet, where she received a long lasting antibiotic, and since that time she's had a bedroom to herself in my house. She was quite young, just learning how to fly (which is probably why the cat got her) and I hand fed her for about 10 days. She's been eating seed on her own and drinking for about 2 weeks now, and it's time for me to make the decision about releasing her. I assumed I'd be releasing her, so I've been careful not to domesticate her, and since stopping the hand feeding, have limited my patting of her etc. Today there were lots of birds around outside and she was crying.....I've never seen her do that before, even when she was a baby wanting food. I'm not sure if she was trying to communicate with them, or something else was going on. For the first time in about a week, I picked her up and gave her a bit of stroking. I'm torn about releasing her....part of me thinks she'd be so much happier flying around with her friends and family....there have been doves around lately and I'm tempted to release her next time they are around so she can join them quickly. I'm also now aware of how much longer they can live in captivity. I have cats in the house, so it's not an ideal home for her. I of course have fallen in love with her, and if I kept her would try to get her a mate (ask the vet to let me take on the next dove etc that is unable to be released due to injury or something). I'm torn, but know I must make up my mind soon as she's flying very well on her own now, eating and drinking well etc. I'd so appreciate any advice. Thank you.