Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I keep forgetting my p/ws and ids. I am Aka baby angel wings and pigeons&felines. We have had a huge heartbreak this past week. We found our beloved Angel Wings on the floor dead this past Tuesday. She was totally fine the day before and this came as a very nasty shock. Now we have her mate, Baby, here all alone and do not know what to do with him or for him. It is too sad. For such a tiny being she sure left a big gaping hole in our lives. Does anyone know of anyone in Salt Lake City or Ogden UT that has pigeons just as pets? I think we need to find Baby a place to be around other pigeons. He lived for Angel and we mere humans are just food providers and maid service for him. He is at least 12 years old that we know about. Any ideas you guys? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Am so very for your loss of Angel Wings. We lost Phoebe and Chloe this year and it was so very heartbreaking so can imagine how hard it is for you too. Have you considered adopting an adult pigeon for Baby? There is probably a bird near you who would benefit from rescue and Baby would probably love to stay with you and only have to get to know a new friend, not a whole new loft and several other pigeons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We rescued both Baby and Angel Wings from a bird dog training camp. Long story. Anyway we are older and do not want to take in another pigeon now to be responsible for. We are really at a loss about Baby and feel the best for him would be to find a loving home where he will be with other pigeons. I was hoping you people might know someone. It would be heart wrenching to have him go and especially after losing Angel but I am afraid he will be too too lonely. We have been spending lots of extra time with him but he is a pigeon's pigeon if you k ow what I mean. Thank you for your kindness. Do you know why your birds died? I wish we knew why Angel is gone.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Phoebe was at least eight and had heart disease and internal xanthomatosis. Chloe was a squeaker who had circovirus. She had no immune system so developed canker, then staph, then yeast, then malaria, then aspergillosis. We tried everything but could not save them. Maybe if you are patient you can find Baby a home on the Adoption Forum here. You can try Craigslist but would need to be exquisitely careful to make sure Baby gets a good home...sounds like a very special, loved bird.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so sorry about your birds. Did not know so many things could go wrong. Baby and Angel have been very healthy except we have spent thousands with Angel's oviduct prolapses and deslorelin implants but she has been fine and seemed fine? Do you raise pigeons? I will look at the adoption forum here and am calling everywhere I can think of here to try and find Baby a good situation. I will have to have visitation though and bring him back immediately if things do not work out. In the meantime how does one go about entertaining a lonely pigeon. Do they actually like toys?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
We spent thousands on Phoebes surgeries and deslorelin implants too. We would probably mortgage our house for our pets. :) you will be Baby's main toy and entertainment, his flock. Phoebe loved mirrors, toys that involved sliding a small door to get to pellets, and bell type toys on strings. She liked tv and music especially Mickey Mouse Club, SpongeBob, and John Sousa marches. We currently have four females. Please be patient and either a great home will turn up or Baby will adjust to you as his flock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you are a person after my own heart. I would mortgage the house too, my husband not so much but Angel always received the vet care she needed. Baby is really hating me now. He is definitely not used to be handled every day and carried around in a cat carrier to different spots in the house and yard. They were just about to move outside to their summer home when this happened. We will still move Baby outside where he will at least hear other birds and nature sounds. We had considered hanging him in our family room that has a wall that is one big mirror. Did your bird think they were seeing another pigeon with the mirror? After reading the warning on this adoption forum I feel very nervous about Baby moving anywhere but want him to be content. He does not like the humans suddenly mushy all over him and being handled. He seems to be eating well and seems OK?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be nice, but at our stage in life we are not getting more animals to care for. I have found a place that I think will take him. A large breeder in Idaho. They have a large netted area for flying and a heated loft for winter. Baby has not spent a winter outside since 2005. The problem is I am getting really cold feet. The lady I have been been talking to said she would take him up there Saturday. This would be a very long car ride for him. When I asked if they cull their birds she said they are not that kind of people but wow I am so not trusting about that with a big breeder. They breed pheasants as game birds I think and that is just not my kind of thing obviously we got Baby out of bird dog training camp. But she assures me he would not be sold. Cripe what a decision. I think he would be happy with a bunch of pigeons after the adjustment but now I don't feel like I can let him go. Did Phobe believe she was seeing another pigeon in her mirror?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Doesn't sound like a place you can trust. But there is the problem, you either keep him and try to do the best you can for him because you really want him, or you find him another home and take your chances. If you really don't want him anymore, then you won't be the best place for him either. That's the thing with pigeons, when you get them, you are taking on a responsibility for what could be a long time. If he is that old, he won't probably want a new mate anyway. He would have a harder time adjusting to a new place with new birds. That is difficult enough on them when they are young. He probably just wants a quiet life at this point. Put in with a bunch of birds in a large place, he will just get lost in the shuffle. He doesn't need that at this point.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Best outcome I think would be to just keep Baby yourself and let him live out his life. Phoebe was an only bird and she seemed ecstatically with just us as her flock. She loved her mirror but we were her favorite toy. The breeder doesn't sound like a place you can trust. Hope you decide to just keep Baby and just "baby" him!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for your input and comments. I really value your advice. Baby will not be moving to ID tomorrow. I had already decided that the only way we would really do this would be for us to go first to ID and view the facility and meet the breeder before we decided to have Baby do a long car ride. My contact here who is a vet tech and a personal friend of the breeder could not furnish his name and phone number, exact location, internet site and basically said today he would take him and not kill him but he would not be an indoor pet so I am so through with that. Not that I expected him to be an indoor pet but heated loft yes. Anyway. There may be progress. Today when I went to get Baby to take him around for adventure he did not fly up to his highest perch where I cannot reach him and have to nudge him off with a roll of paper towels to a lower perch where I can snag him. He actually was pretty calm about being caught. I do want you guys to know I really do not want to get rid of him (perish the thought) but I do want his best welfare and happiness. Maybe I really can morph into a pigeon toy:D Thanks for being wonderful, loving and kind pigeon people that I can talk to.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Right now he is missing his mate, and feeling confused and lonely. Changing where he lives would only make things worse for him. He doesn't deserve that at this age.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts