Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would not fly my birds in that cold of temps. We dont have that problem here in Florida. If you are trying to condition for a race maybe but ask youself, " Is it good for the Pigeons " and you will answer your own question.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
There is no problem flying in winter.............. EXCEPT the Hawks are real hungry right about now. (some times very brave and bold).
If they are 8 months old, and you are prepared for more birds, and want more birds ,ut the boxes in. I plan to put mine in this weekend. mine are younger than yours, BUT they will be on eggs by mid Jan. NO PROBLEM. Davel P.S. if you have only two birds, DO NOT free fly until you build up the number in your loft,as they will not fly well, plus the hawks can tune in on one or two birds much easier.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes you can. I use pine needles but you can use straw, tobacco stems etc. Pine needles are free and easy to find. You will need a nest bowl(9 inches around and 2 inches deep ) If you dont have a bowl you can use anything. The birds are not picky. They will only build a nest if they are a male and a female.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I would give them the option, but not force them out. If they don't want to fly in the cold, then they know what's best for them. But I agree, it probably isn't so much the cold that is the problem, but the hawks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I beleive theres no problem flying them in the winter. As long as there are no high winds or hawks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cold weather flying

I fly my Flying Flights no matter what the temperature is . As long as the wind is fairly calm they are out and they love the cold weather. The hawks like the cold weather too but I get them out no matter what. Thety have to learn to outfly the hawks, that is why i push them at least an hour in the summer months to get them aquainted with flying long periods of time.

It is not unusual for the stock to fly 3-4 hours at one time. They are conditioned for it. There are 43 left on the flying team and i've already lost about 10-12 to the hawks this year.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The old saying ,If you can look and see the wild/feral pigeons flying yours should be flying also. NOW far as hawks go. Main thing agin is to fly the birds before they get fed. SO no short exersise then loft sitting goes on. THERE is where the birds become more so indager of a hawk attack. Birds in the sky are a little harder to hit. AND on days you notice the old hawk in the sky AND be sure to look around the trees and befor you let the out to fly As a hawk I think becomes smart to wher a food supply is On reguler times. BUT having 2 and wanting to breed them I believe you need to just set them down for breeding and fly there young for now.

G

·
my birds have never had a problem flying in the cold, but with the cold always comes those bold, pesky, very hungry hawks trying to eat them any chance they can get :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts