Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know by now, Im new to pigeon life. I have a small loft with 10 birds. I let them out most days to fly around. (been sick latly, keeping them home for now) I run a home for the mentally handicapped, I got the birds because the guys seem to really enjoy watching them fly over head. For the most part I have never had an issue with returning birds, except for 3 birds. These 3 will stay out of loft, but will hang out on top of flightpen or loft. After a day or two, they'll come in threw the bobs. These are older birds and know how to enter threw the bobs fine.

To the other folks who free fly, how do you get your birds to return every night?

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR

· Registered
20,303 Posts
I let mine out in the afternoon before their second meal, then when it gets time for the sun to sink low I call them in to eat their meal, when they are a bit hungry if motivates them to come in, don't over feed, one ounce per bird twice a day to start and check it in 20 mins to see if you have any left if you do it's too much if there are only a few seeds left I would say thats about right, if you don't want to measure, while they are locked in the loft call them to eat, put some feed down wait 20 mins and then take up the feed, they should learn to eat all they want, but not over eat. but you have to take the feed up. not good to leave in overnight anyway, keeping the grain up helps with not attracting rodents. even if you did not do this they should want to come back in the loft to roost at sundown, maybe they don't like the bobs or something. hope there is'nt something giving them trouble in there, they should want to go back in at some point.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Food is the key like Spirit said. I let mine out in the morning about an hour to 2 hours before the morning feed. This burns up all the stored energy from feed the night before. My birds normally route/trip so I wait until they're around the neighborhood before I call them in to feed. They rarely touch the loft roof when they come down to trap. I give them about an 1-2 oz. per bird and they normally eat that up in 10 minutes or less. You never want to over feed them that decreases their performance and makes them lazy. This in turn causes them to not want to trap when called.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
If they are not listening to your food call either they are not hungry or they developed a bad habit of not listening. Either way don't fly them full. Fly them first, then feed them. Their motivation to go in is to eat and drink. If these are adults, then their motivation is their mate inside.

· Registered
15,608 Posts
As most of you know by now, Im new to pigeon life. I have a small loft with 10 birds. I let them out most days to fly around. (been sick latly, keeping them home for now) I run a home for the mentally handicapped, I got the birds because the guys seem to really enjoy watching them fly over head. For the most part I have never had an issue with returning birds, except for 3 birds. These 3 will stay out of loft, but will hang out on top of flightpen or loft. After a day or two, they'll come in threw the bobs. These are older birds and know how to enter threw the bobs fine.

To the other folks who free fly, how do you get your birds to return every night?

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR

If you're flying the birds with the intentions of getting them in when you call them, then you're going to have to do what everyone suggested, and adjust the feed and the amount. In order to get these birds to listen, they really need to be in a routine and it's needs to be stuck with as much as possible.
Now, I have some of my birds on open loft. That means, my loft is open most of the day for them to come and go as they please. About an hour before dark, I close up the loft and the only way to enter is through the trap and then they're in for the night. If you've got a few birds that are routinely staying out overnight, then I would suspect that there's a reason for that. I don't care if they're hungry or not, if they've been trained to trap, when it starts getting dark, they WANT to be inside the loft..........
I let my birds out in the AM. They fly, trap and eat and THEN they are allowed open loft the rest of the day, weather permitting.

· Registered
76 Posts
i usually let my birds ot in a time between 2pm and 4pm then around dusk all of them will be back in the ucoop except my one naughty bird i call scrump. he likes to be caght and put in the loft, or i use pigeon grit to convince him to go in. he is starting to get better at comming back though. but the first time i let his brother out he stayed out for 2 nights before comming in. so yes my birds come back at night. but some of them just don't care if they do or not!

~F.f.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.